Chapter 9 | Insulting Her means Disrespecting Me

Dear Lady Mielle,

'Thank you for accommodating me that day in your household. My stress due to the studying had been eased. It was all thanks to you that i've rested comfortably...'

'I've picked you a dress for a gift, for the handkerchief. I forgot to give it back to you that night so i'm very sorry. However, i'm glad i'm the first person Lady Mielle had given a handkerchief. It pleases me. And i hope the hairpin is to your liking. You've mentioned at the dinner that you liked little flowers. I commissioned them as what you've like, and i hope that you'll like it like how much i liked it.'

'-Oscar Frederick..'

I didn't know Oscar was such a flatterer. Was he like that? I heard he's a shy guy. Hmm, but he amuses me. He's indifferent to me than the original Mielle. I wonder why.. Also, it's just the first page at the first paragraph, that last one was the last paragraph in the fourth page. Gosh, why is he wasting paper? All of it was just to remind me to take care of myself, on how beautiful my embroidery was, on how i should write him letters often, on how i looked beautiful in short hair and-.. Did he say i looked beautiful?

"Hmm, Would Sir Oscar be pleased with another handkerchief?" i asked the maid inside the carriage with me. It's a gift for him saying i'm beautiful. I glanced at them and it was an unfamiliar maid. "Are you new?"

"O-oh..! Yes, M'lady." she answered as she bowed at me.

I chuckled as i looked at her with soft gaze. "What are you doing? Don't bow, i'm just a lady. Tell me, would Sir Oscar be please with another handkerchief?"

"I think so, Lady Mielle."

"Great then.." If Aria's not planning to gift something to Oscar so he'll feel burden, then i guess i'll gift him some. Embroidering a handkerchief's all i'm doing when i'm not reading anyway. Is there even an interesting hobby here?

"We've arrived, Lady Mielle."

"Very well, then." i replied as the maid helped me get down the carriage.

Right.. This was also the time when Aria's carriage was somehow sabotaged by Mielle. But since it didn't happen and will never happen, i wonder what would happen today. The butler's favor towards Aria become stronger by that time. That won't happen now so- What do i do?

Should i make some scheming that'll put the blame on others? And then the butler would be accused, but then Aria will defend him. That's a great idea. What a great idea.

".. Lady Mielle?".

I was popped out of my own thoughts as i looked at the ladies infront of me. "Oh, i'm very sorry for spacing out. What were you all saying?"

"It's about that commoner with a kid that the count let in! Is true that the wench's daughter's a brat?"
"I heard she bullies Lady Mielle, is it true?"
"I heard she's really stupid!"
"Did she really cut pieces of your hair that's why you had to cut them short?"

I sighed at all of their remarks as i glared at them, and which, everyone trembled in sudden fear. I fakely smiled at them as i placed my teacup at the table. "Sister hadn't done such things. She was really nice to me. And she's not stupid, preferably speaking, i think she's quite a genius. And she didn't cut off my hair, i did." i then leaned on the chair and smiled brightfully. "And please do not call my stepmother a wench. She's the countess now, not a commoner. You all are beneath her, don't speak such rude things."

"O-oh.. Sorry Lady Mielle."
"We didn't know."
"Yes, we're very sorry."

Huh, so they're sucking up to me.. Well, if there is an opportunity, let's use it wisely. "No need to apologize." i chuckled as i sipped my tea once again. "You lot didn't knew about it, it's fine. Just refrain speaking vulgar things about my sister and stepmother."

"Of course, Lady Mielle."

"Oh! Lady Mielle, where have you got that rose hairpin? It looked quite pretty on you." a lady beamed at me as i smiled back. I don't want to say that it was from Oscar but.. I don't know.

"It was from Sir Oscar." i answered after giggling. "Wasn't it quite a great hairpin? An bejeweled hairpin in exchange of just a mere handkerchief.. Such future fiancé i have..." whispering the last part, i silently sighed and drank the tea i was served.