Chapter 22 | Date Before The Birthday

"Lady Mielle?"

I jumped from my seat when I suddenly heard a voice behind my head. I turned around and saw that it was only Oscar that I've been waiting for since this morning. I sighed in relief and flashed a small smile at him.

"Goodness, you've frightened me, Sir Oscar."

He only chuckled and patted my head, "Just Oscar, Lady Mielle."

"Then just Mielle, Oscar." I giggled when his cheeks suddenly turned red. He turned his head away from me and faked a cough, which is cute of him that made me chuckle.

He nodded his head, while his head are still looking away from me. I only laughed at his reaction when we both turned our heads when the door suddenly opened, and clicking sound of heels nearing us. It was both Aria and the countess.

I only smiled at Aria when I notice her glaring at Oscar, which made me laugh because I don't even know why she's glaring at the poor shy man. I mean, this guy was her possible love interest but then she was swooped away by Asher. And the countess was the opposite, atleast that's what I think.

"A warm greetings to you Countess andLady Aria." Oscar bowed his head and raised his head shortly after. The countess only chuckle while Aria- who seemed okay now- nod her head silently. "I'm here to take Mielle out once again, if you don't mind."

"Sir Oscar is a capable man of protecting my 'daughter' so I won't mind you two going on a date." The countess flashed a kind smile, which made me awe but her next words made me think there's something beneath the kind appearance of her. She also said the word daughter as if I'm really her daughter. "But if something were to happen to Mielle, then I won't care that you're a ducal house. I will hunt you down."

"Mielle should also be home before sun down," Aria chimed in with that bewitching smile of hers that's making me melt, because she's too pretty and hot- stop Mielle! Aria turned to me with a soft smile and then turned to Oscar with a completely different expression. "I swear that I will make you regret if you didn't bring her home at that time."

I only chuckled at their overprotectiveness and looked at Oscar if he's scared or something, but he wasn't. He only smiled as if he's expecting this. I arched an eyebrow, but shrugged. It's a part of his character development, and I like it. He used to be so shy and timid, but he looks quite dependable now. I like it.

"Don't worry, I won't bring or do anything that will cause Lady Mielle to be harmed. And as I promised at my letters, I will bring Lady Mielle back before sun down," he said without faltering. Aria and the countess looked at him with content as they turned to me with a small smile.

"Have fun at your date, Mielle."

Aria snickered and walked to my side and whispered. "Make him fall in love with you more."

I only scoff dramatically as a joke and laughed. "And make you tease me after I did? No, thank you." Both Aria and I laughed as the other two looked at us with a small smile, completely unknown to me that Oscar had been staring at me lovingly the whole time.

We then bid our goodbyes to everyone and headed to the carriage, which is by the way really flaunting the money the Fredericks have. Oscar helped me get inside the carriage as he entered next. We both sat in front of each other, which, I really thought he would sit beside me that I even gave space when he sat down in front of me.

None of us spoke and we awkwardly sat down, staring at each other sometimes when he suddenly spoke. "Mielle, your hair's growing quite fast."

"Oh?" I arched an eyebrow and looked at it. The last time, it was from my collarbone, but now it's on my chest. "It did... That's strange." I brushed my hair with my fingers for a few moment and looked at it strangely. I didn't even notice it grew, at all.