Chapter 21 | Right Thing

Dear Lady Mielle,

Your birthday is coming up, and I was wondering if I could have some time of yours before the day of your party. I want to spend time with you as it had been too long since our last meeting. I missed you, and I also wanted to be the first one to greet you personally. I'm looking forward for your reply.

Sincerely yours, Oscar Frederick.

I dropped the— I don't even know how many pages it is— pages of letter that Oscar sent me that arrived today. Aria's out, Jessie and Annie are busy, and my dear Reth are also out doing God knows what. So I'm left alone in this dear household of ours all alone.

But I won't deny that his letter didn't cheer me up.

I sighed to myself as I stood up and stepped outside my room and headed to the indoor garden when I found my (hot) stepmother inside. She was humming to herself as she water the plants herself. I silently watched her in awe as I admire her peaceful appearance.

If I remember correctly, she's only thirty-two of age and Aria is fifteen. Then that would mean she had Aria when she's seventeen. Quite a young age to bear a child, but then again, this is a historical setting. Having a child at a young age is normal, pedophilia is even prominent at some part of this empire. Even in the modern world, kids half of my age gets pregnant while I'm out stealing people's money.

I silently chuckled at the irony of the world and walked beside the countess. "You could've asked the maids to water the plants, Countess." I said with a simple smile.

She turned to me in shock, wondering who could've it been. But seeing it's only me, she sighed in relief and smiled. "Doing things like this are therapeutic, other than drinking and shopping, of course." I giggled at her reply and only nod my head. "What are you doing here, Mielle? And didn't I say that you can call me Mother?"

"I… never had anyone to call Mother, so it's quite new to me." I shooked my head and flashed a sad smile. I was expecting a normal reply from the Countess, or just nothing when she suddenly patted my head and giggled. "Huh?"

"You're quite a cute child, aren't you, Mielle?" the countess softly smiled and pulled to a hug. Which flustered me because deep inside, I'm a thirty year old bisexual mess. "At first, I never expect to become your motherly figure as your father only wanted me… You're still a child to know that." she then, pulled out and cupped my cheeks with a small smile, squatting down to have me look at her without staring up.

"But seeing you smiling and acting like a child with my Aria, I suddenly wanted to care for you. I admit, I have neglected my daughter but that doesn't mean that I don't love her. Seeing her smile with you makes me think that you're a good sister to her, and I want that to continue in the future."

Sister…

I softly smiled at the countess and nodded. "I also want to make sister happy."

"Hmm, I know you will do well." The countess pinched my cheeks and softly laughed. "You're a good child, Mielle."

God, if only you knew what the owner of this body did to you in her first life… I chuckled nervously, but the countess only looked at me innocently. "I will try to call you Mother from now on… Truthfully, I'm quite embarrassed…" Because you and I are just the same age— not physically. "But I will try… Mother."

The countess squealed and hugged me tightly as if I'm a cute plushie. I only released a soft laughed and hugged her back.

After that touching scene, the two of us watered the plants together and headed to the pavilion for some tea. Thankfully, Jessie and Annie came back and they were the ones who served the beverages and pastries. I was delighted when they served me coffee instead of tea, which made the countess arched an eyebrow at me in confusion. I only explained that tea makes me nauseous which she smiled and nodded.

After drinking two to four cups of coffee— in which for the countess, five to nine cups of tea— we both decided to play some cards which I'm shocked they have. The countess was so ready to teach them to me, when she found out I'm good at them. It's just poker, I've played poker too many times and won them. Not crazily like those girls in that gambling manga.

I kept winning, which the countess only laughed at and invited a few maids to play with us. They were all laughing and smiling, even the butler played alongside us until the sun was gone.

It was nighttime and I waited for Aria near the door when it was opened by Reth. I looked at the two in surprise as Aria only gave me a small smile. The two whispered something through each other's ears when Reth nodded and ran away to outside. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion when Aria engulfed to a hug.

"I met the blue-haired man again," Aria whispered through my ear and softly sighed. She was tired, and so, I helped stand up properly and walked her to her room. "It was quite chaotic to say the least, he just appears out of nowhere all of the sudden."

I chuckled, "Does he annoy you?"

"He acts arrogantly as if he's a royal." Aria scoffed as she frowned, and then looked at me as if she's predicted something. "Is he…?"

"I'm not allowed to say." I giggled and she only pouted and stomped her knees. "By the way, Oscar asked me out once again."

"Did he now?" Aria turned silent for a second, which made me worry when she spoke once again. "Are you… going?"

I nodded my head without even looking at her. "I have to. He's going to be my fiancé…" I softly sighed, halting when we both reached her bedroom. "I'll have to go to my room now, I did too many things today that it's a shock." I joked, but Aria only looked at me with worry which taken me back. "What is it?"

Aria was about to speak when stopped and shaked her head. She only smiled at me and nodded. After that, we both silently parted ways. It was unusual because the usual thing we would do is sit back at her room and talk about many things. But this time, we only said goodbye and parted.

I released a dry laugh as I ran my hand through my flowing hair. The moon suddenly shone through the window that kissed my pale skin, due to my lack of exposure of the sun. I sighed and continued walking with one thought in mind.

This is the right thing to do…