01 | mr. & mrs. harrington!

Chapter One
🍦
Mr. & Mrs. Harrington!

◈◆◈◆◈◆◈◆◈

It was the summer of 1985, and the town was buzzing about the new mall that recently opened called Starcourt. It brought excitement to the small town of Hawkins. Olivia wasn't super fond of it as it shut many small businesses down. However, in the beginning of the summer, Steve asked her if she wanted to apply at stores in the mall with him and Olivia couldn't say no to him. They ended up getting a job at a charming little ice cream parlor called Scoops Ahoy.

            Their coworker, Robin, was a bit of an oddball, but that's what Olivia thought made her so lovable. Olivia recognized her from school, though they never really spoke to each other, only waved at each other when they crossed paths. However, when it was their first day on the job, they instantly bonded and had fun teasing Steve in his sailor uniform. Olivia secretly thought he looked adorable in it, but she would never dare say it out loud. Robin would just tease Olivia endlessly if she did.

            In the back of the parlor, Steve and Olivia were chatting about random things while it was Robin's turn to scoop ice cream at the front. Steve was mindlessly spinning his sailor hat as he leaned against the table and Olivia was standing next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder about to fall asleep, exhausted from her long and draining shift. Olivia was used to working in the food industry as she used to work as a waiter at Benny's Burgers, but she had forgotten how tiring it could be. Steve smiled at her, and kissed her softly on her forehead. That was sort of their thing, kissing her forehead was something he always did, and every time it made her heart race.

            "So," Steve began to say. "When does Dustin get home?"

            Olivia smiled at this, Steve has been asking her every day when Dustin would be back from summer camp. She loved how close those two were.

            "He comes home tommorow," Olivia answered, her eyes lighting up at the thought. Dustin had been away for a whole month, and she missed him a lot. Truth be told, she was counting down the days just like Steve was. The siblings have never been apart for that long before, so she was excited that he was finally coming home. "I'm really excited, I wish you could come with my mom and I to pick him up."

            "I do too," Steve sighed. "But I have to work. I hate this stupid job."

            "It's not so bad," Olivia shrugged. "At least we get to work together. And I get to see you in the sailor uniform everyday," She laughed.

            "Stop," Steve shoves her playfully, though a small smile was on his face. "It's not fair, you look way better in it than I do."

            Olivia scrunched her nose. "I look ridiculous in it."

            Steve smiled and a comfortable silence fell between the two. So far, Olivia has been having a great summer. Her and Steve have been inseparable since last year, and she even started to grow feelings for him. Her feelings for Johnathan finally disappeared, but now she was bottling her feelings again, only this time it was with Steve. She hated how easy it was for her to fall in love with someone and get too attached. She tended to bottle her feelings because she found it easier than dealing with heartbreak. Plus, she didn't want to ruin what she had with Steve. Everything was so amazing at the moment. She wouldn't know what to do if Steve rejected her.