Vol. 1: Early Encounters

Ayanokouji POV

As soon as I realized that I was staring for more than a few seconds, I snapped myself out of my own trance. It would be rude to leave this girl hanging after she just tried to talk to me.

Kiyo: Just something to pass the time.

???: Really? What's it about?

Kiyo: Fantasy.

I probably shouldn't mention to her that this novel features girls' breasts and harems. I might get labeled as a pervert if I do.

???: Interesting... so you like reading books?

I shook my head.

Kiyo: Not in particular. Only when I find them interesting.

???: Is that so? You don't look very interested, though.

She gave me a smirk, while I only shrugged. It's not my fault that I was part of a facility that turns children into emotionless killing machines.

Kiyo: This is just how I am. I'm not good at expressing myself.

???: So you're shy, huh? Well, I suppose I'll start the introductions to make it easier for you. I'm Matsushita Chiaki. It's nice to meet you.

Kiyo: Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. Likewise.

Chiaki: So then, Ayanokouji-kun..... I see you're wearing the same uniform as I am. That must mean we're going to the same school.

I nodded my head as I placed my light novel back inside my bag. At this point, it's obvious that I won't be able to read in peace, not that I'm bothered. I can always continue reading later on.

Kiyo: That appears to be the case.

Chiaki: Then can I know which class you belong to?

Kiyo: I was put in Class D.

Chiaki: Oh, what a coincidence! I'm in Class D too, so I guess we're going to be classmates.

Matsushita is going to be my classmate, huh? She looks kind and gentle from the aura she's radiating, like she's someone you can count on whenever you need her. She'll definitely be useful in the future.

I'll give her a compliment, then. I've read that girls secretly like being admired by other people and at the same time, they get flustered. I'm curious to see what would be her reaction if I did that.

Kiyo: I'm glad to hear that a beautiful girl like you is my classmate.

Matsushita blinked a few times, before she quickly turned her head away. I could see her face becoming red as well.

...did it work?

Chiaki: J-Jeez, do you say that to every girl you meet? That's not a good way of flirting, Ayanokouji-kun!

Flirting? Am I doing that?

That's not how I wanted my first interaction with a girl to go. Flirting wasn't my intention, but it appears that Matsushita thought that was the case. I should clear up this misunderstanding before it turns south.

Kiyo: I don't think I'm-

???: Excuse me, shouldn't you offer up your seat?

A woman's voice the peaceful atmosphere of the bus, as Matsushita and I turned towards the person who spoke.

It was a normal office lady scolding a man with blonde hair, sitting in an arrogant manner with his arms folded and his leg crossed over the other. He was wearing the same uniform as us, so he must be a student of the same school.