Vol. 1: Girl Problems

3rd Person POV

After hearing the instructions from their teacher, the whole class broke off into several groups in order to perform their warm-ups. Ayanokouji did his sets with Sudo, Karuizawa, Hirata, Sato, and Matsushita. Horikita was with Kushida, who attracted the jealous gazes of Shinohara and a few other girls.

Yamauchi and Ike stood by the sidelines and chose to do nothing. Instead, their attention was solely focused towards the girls.

After warming up, Tokugawa-sensei gave them ten minutes to do what they want in the water while he left to get something from the faculty lounge.

While their teacher was gone, Kiyotaka turned his attention towards Suzune, who begun to swim in the water with Kikyo. He could already tell that she didn't want to be near him right now, and he was a complete amateur when it came to social interactions!

Kiyo: If Horikita's avoiding me, I can't blame her. I should just leave her alone for now to let her cool off. I think talking to her right away after what happened earlier will just make things worse.

After a quick swim, the two friends climbed out of the water. Just then, a short, brown-haired girl ran over towards Horikita with a gleeful look on her face.

Onodera: I loved your form in the water, Horikita-san! Did you ever join in a competition in your old school?

Horikita was caught off guard by Onodera's sudden question that she didn't even know how to respond. She turned towards Kushida for help, but the beige-haired girl only nodded as if to give her encouragement.

Suzune: Not really. I don't think I'm particularly good at swimming.

Suzune shook her head in denial, but Kayano only laughed in amusement.

Onodera: Are you kidding me? I know a great swimmer when I see one, and you show a lot of potential! Maybe you could join me in the Swimming Club, Horikita-san.

Kushida: I agree, Suzu-chan! Maybe you can give me some pointers when I'm in the water.

Crossing her arms, Suzune sent a disapproving look towards Kikyo, who only grinned innocently in response.

Suzune: Stop talking nonsense, Kushida-san. We both know that you can swim just fine. And Onodera-san, thank you for the offer, but I don't plan on joining any clubs.

Onodera: Aw, that's too bad. Well, do you mind if ask you about how you learned to swim instead?

Kiyotaka observed the interaction from where he was, and found himself pleased with this turn of events. It had only been a few days since Kikyo managed to befriend Suzune and break her out of her cold shell, and now she was doing fine in interacting with other people on her own. She still looked annoyed about this whole arrangement from time to time, but she didn't go as far as coldly rejecting others anymore.

Kiyo: Looks like Kushida's making my work even more easier for me. With her around, even Shinohara will eventually be friends with Horikita as well as the rest of our classmates. At this rate, she'll become a suitable co-leader in a matter of months.....

Chiaki: Got something on your mind, Ayanokouji-kun?

Kiyotaka was instantly pulled out of his thoughts when he heard someone call out to him. He turned around to see Chiaki approaching him with her usual smile. For obvious reasons, he kept his eyes glued to her face and not anything below the neck. This girl was very beautiful on her own and the fact that she was only wearing a school swimsuit right now might give him 'ideas' again....

Kiyo: Nothing really. Just thinking about what's going to happen today.

Chiaki: Oh? You mean what Tokugawa-sensei said about having a swimming race?