Vol. 1: Trouble Brewing

Ayanokouji POV

Chabashira-sensei was very different today.

The day before, she was completely serious and looked like she had no interest in teaching, just that she was forced to because it's her job.

Today though, she seemed more passionate in teaching. Starting from homeroom announcements to introducing Japanese history, it's like she was a completely different person. She even cracked a few jokes with the class and let everyone laugh as much as they want.

I guess yesterday's events took a massive burden off her shoulders. She didn't have any hope that we would save up some points instead of carelessly spending them, because we're defects in her eyes.

After reminding us to be careful with the information that we know regarding the S-System, she left the classroom. There were still about fifteen minutes before our next teacher arrives, and so I this opportunity to talk to my classmates as their new leader.

I walked in front and stood before the podium, where I noticed the looks of respect that my classmates were giving me.

I have to say, being able to gain their trust like this is a weight off my shoulders. They were the kind of teenagers who have to be faced with possible consequences before they realize the danger they were in. Luckily, the school was just as strict with its rules in contrast to the benefits that it provides.

Kiyo: I'm sure some of you are aware by now, but our advantage over the other classes will only last for a month. On the first of May, when we receive our allowance from the school, the class points and the rankings will be revealed to the other classes.

From their reactions, some of them didn't know this and were only realizing this now. That's fine. It makes me feel relieved that I told them about this right away.

Kiyo: Once that happens, the race for class points will begin. It will also be revealed that we, as a class, bought information about the S-System on the first day. We'll be a primary target by the other classes when that happens, assuming that we don't end up as last place. Now, I hope you didn't forget what I said about saving your points. There are five more days before the week ends. Please make sure you don't spend more than 40,000 points by next week.

Some people like Yamauchi and Ike were still displeased that I placed a restriction on the amount of points that they can spent, but I hope they understand that this is for their own good.

I then shifted my attention to one particular girl who was sitting in front.

Kiyo: Kushida. Did you make the contract?

Kushida: Yep! Here it is, Ayanokouji-kun.

She quickly brought out a rolled-up parchment from her bag and unfurled it for me to see. She actually wrote down everything that I wanted to see in it, including the terms and conditions I gave everyone yesterday.

I want to pat her head again as a reward but I don't think that would end well, especially if I do it here.

Kiyo: Good job, Kushida. Write down your signature on it and pass it to Hirata. He'll do the same before passing it to the next one, and so on. After Horikita's turn, she'll give it to me so that I can put in my signature to make it official. Signing that contract means you'll agree to giving 40,000 points next week if you don't follow what I said.

As I spoke, Kushida had finished writing her signature and passed it to Hirata. He did the same and passed it to Karuizawa, who was reluctant to sign but did it anyway, before passing it on to the next one.

Kiyo: If you think I'm doing this to punish those who can't follow instructions, then you're wrong. It's for insurance. Assuming that anything within the school grounds can be bought, then it's best if we keep a stash of points available for us to use if we need it. We might even be able overturn a possible expulsion and save a classmate from being expelled.