Vol. 1: Don't Hold Back

Ayanokouji POV

After gathering everyone in front of him, Tokugawa-sensei explained how the little swimming competition would work.

There will be two races for the girls, and they will be ranked according to the time that it takes for them to cross the whole pool. It was like that because nearly half of the girls in our class chose not to participate.

On the other hand, the boys will be participating in preliminary races in order to determine who gets to compete in the final round. The two fastest boys of each race will advance to the next round and the final ranking will determine the winner.

Our teacher then blew his whistle and called for six participants from the girls, telling them to take their places and prepare to swim. Horikita and Kushida were among those who stepped forward as volunteers to go first. Matsushita, Sato, and Inogashira were part of it as well.

For a moment, Horikita took a glance at me before looking away immediately. I guess she was still embarrassed from what happened earlier.

As they got into their respective lanes, I noticed Sudo was walking towards me with a look of excitement on his face.

Sudo: Ayanokouji! What do you say to a little friendly match between us? Just to see who's faster.

Ah, so he wants to have a little competition of our own, huh? Well, I see no reason for me to deny him of his wish. It might even be fun to compete against a friend.

Kiyo: Let's do it.

I offered him my hand, which he gladly shook.

Sudo: All right!

Koenji: Ayanokouji-boy.

Both Sudo and I turned to the source of that voice, which happened to be Koenji. Unlike the rest of the boys who wore swimming trunks, he was wearing a rash guard which seemed to have quite an effect on some of our female classmates.

Kiyo: This is a surprise. Normally, you don't talk to anyone, Koenji. To what do I owe the pleasure?

As far as I'm concerned, this is the first time that he's talked to me or even approached me. We have never interacted prior to this.

Koenji, while wearing that usual smug expression he has, folded his arms and sent me a challenging look.

Koenji: I challenge you to a race later on.

This is surprising. With all the narcissistic comments that this guy says most of the time, I don't understand why he would challenge me, of all people, to a race. Doesn't he call himself a 'perfect existence' or something?

Kiyo: Why?

His smirk widened.

Koenji: It would please me greatly to be able to beat the so-called 'masterpiece' in a competition. It would truly show that I am nothing more than a perfect existence! A swimming race is the perfect opportunity for that.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

My face might not show it, but I am genuinely surprised right now. What he said caught my attention right away.

He knows about the White Room somehow, which means that he must also know that man.

This makes me wonder exactly how he knows that place, but that's a question for later. At the very least, Koenji seems to know that it's something that can't be talked about like it's nothing important. He must also know what it's about as well.