07. sweet 16 Belly

chapter seven, sweet 16 Belly

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The Fishers, Bakers and Conklins are making everything ready for Belly’s 16th birthday.

Since Belly’s birthday is in the summer, all of them had spend it at the Fisher's summer house. It's always the same. Laurel makes her Mickey Mouse pancakes and everyone gives Belly her presents.

Belly likes to say it's the one day the boys have to include her in everything. It's her favorite day of the year.

"Golden brown and crisp. That's how it's supposed to look" Steven says, looking at the pancakes Rosalie is doing, she volunteered doing them, since everybody loves her baking.

"I know how to do pancakes, Steven" Rosalie says annoyed and Jeremiah chuckles.

"How's it going over there?" Laurel asks.

"The pancakes are ready" she responds and places them on a plate.

"Morning, everyone" Belly greets the family as she enters the kitchen.

Everyone wishing her a happy birthday.

"Happy birthday" Rosalie says as she hugs Belly tightly.

"Thanks, everyone"

"Happy birthday, sweetheart"

"Thanks, Mom" Belly says with a beaming smile.

"Your Mickey Mouse pancakes are ready"

"Actually, I'm not really, uh, hungry" she responds.

"Oh" Laurel says, hiding her disappointment with a smile.

"Shall we open gifts?" Susannah suggests.

"Oh, you're gonna love mine" Jere says, smiling.

Belly unwraps the gift from her mum.

"It's a first edition. I got it from a rare book dealer" Laurel says with a smile.

"Thanks, Mom"

"Turn to the bookmarked page. It's your favorite poem"

"Oh, yeah. I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this. "For whatever we lose..."

Jeremiah and Rosalie join in, "Like a you or a me...", than Steven and Conrad join in as well.

"It's always ourselves we find in the sea."

They all laugh.

"Thank you. I love it"

"You're welcome"

"Okay, open mine now, Belly" Susannah says with a beaming smile.

Belly opens Susannah's gift, containing beautiful pearl necklace.