Love and... Baseball?

ModernAU! BruceYamadaxReader!

It was a Saturday, a day you usually took to find time to relax, read a book, or take care of yourself. But yet you found yourself in Chicago getting ready to dance at a baseball championship game. You didn't even like baseball but because you happen to be absolutely smitten for your best friend, you were going. Not to mention your obligation to your team.

You took extra time styling your hair, tying ribbons that match the team colors into your ponytail, putting a big '27' on your cheek and the letters ND on the other side. You had to make sure your lip gloss was perfect and the shiny majorette outfit was smooth and hugging all the places it was intended too before snatching your shoes, phone, and baton and rushing out the door.

By the time you had reached the field the other dancers were already in position and when you finally found yours, you saw him.

Bruce Yamada.

He was waiting in the dugout with the rest of his team to watch you guys perform. And more importantly he was staring at you with that stupid (but cute) grin on his face. 

There was a buzz from the scoreboard and then the drums started along with the rest of the band and you began your routine. The pressure started to sink in as you nervously waited for your cue, but your nerves went away when you heard the shouting from your left.

" You're doing great Hana!!"

That definitely put a smile on your face and you continued the routine, executing every move near perfect and with a lot more confidence than you had 30 seconds ago. Once the routine came to an end the crowd erupted into cheers but more importantly Bruce was jumping around and clapping for you like a three year old kid on Christmas morning.

Unfortunately you two had no time to speak as you were rushed into the bleachers to make room for the baseball team to flood onto the field and to get ready to start your second routine.

*Mini time skip brought to you by Robins bandana*

The game was at its end, the final pitch was about to be thrown and Bruce was up. The game depended on him, the bases were loaded and if he could just hit it far enough to let one of his teammates touch the home plate they could be the best baseball team in America. This was nationals, he couldn't afford a mess up. 

No pressure.

Everyone waited with baited breath, hanging on the edge of their seats eyes wide in disbelief as the ball flew towards him and he didn't even swing.

"Strike one!"

You watched as he wiped the sweat from his face, digging his shoes deeper into the dirt and winding up his bat and then

Swing.

"Strike two!"

Tensions were high and the entire stadium fell into a hushed whisper, aside from you. You were currently screaming over the balcony.

"Don't let them win!"

You didn't really have time to feel embarrassed because you knew how important this was for him. You silently prayed to every god imaginable for him to win this game, and you held your breath as you prepared for him to take his last swing.

He swung at it again, this time there was an awfully loud crack and the ball soared out of the stadium and he took off running, him and all three of his teammates crossing the home plate. Everyone started cheering and you wasted absolutely no time running down to the field, the both of you met in the middle, jumping and screaming.

"Holy shit that was amazing?! You won!"

"I did! Thanks to you! And you look great, you're an amazing dancer!"

"Well of course I am."

You faked a british accent and struck a silly pose, which caused him to laugh, but absolutely nothing in the world could prepare you for what happened next.

He hugged you, spinning you around a few times before coming to a slow stop. His eyes scanned your face for a few seconds and your heart was nearly beating out of your chest once you noticed his face moving closer to yours.

In reality this was happening a whole lot faster than you thought, but it felt like everything was spinning in slow motion as his lips collided with yours and his arms tightened around your waist.

There was another round of whistling and clapping, mostly from his teammates and your fellow dancers, plus his little sister Amy as they all congratulated you both. Once the two of you broke apart you punched him in the arm and he had a look of shock, pretending to be hurt.

"What was that forrrr?"

"All this time you could have just said you liked me you idiot."

"Well that would just be boring now wouldn't it?"

"Whatever."

You rolled your eyes at him but you were secretly flattered. His coach called him to shake hands with the other team so he kissed your cheek and promised to take you out today before he jogged away.

You spent a whole year liking Bruce Yamada and here you were, going on a date with him in a few hours, life couldn't get any better.