chapter seven

Caterina's eyes roamed the crowd of people surrounding the aircraft. She was dressed in Luna's clothes and was holding her bright yellow duffel bag. She took a deep breath as she looked around, her heartbeat spiking up when she first saw Maya. "Oh, my God. It's her." She whispered to herself as she felt tears forming in her eyes.

"Hey, Luna!" Maya waved at Caterina with a big smile. "Welcome home, kiddo!" She exclaimed as Caterina ran towards her. Caterina dropped her bag at Maya's feet and threw herself into her mother's arms.

"Mom! Finally." Caterina said as Maya tightly hugged her. Maya giggled and spun Caterina around, making the young girl laugh.

"God, I hope you had a horrible time at camp because you're not going back. I missed you too much." Maya grinned at her as she pulled away from the hug and crouched down to Caterina's level, looking at her. "What happened to you, Luna? Something's changed. Are you getting taller?" Maya jokingly asked as she got up from the floor and picked Caterina's bag up.

"So, what's up, mom? How's Aunt Vic and everyone?" Caterina asked as they walked hand in hand through the terminal.

Maya smiled at her. "Everybody's great. They can't wait to see you, kiddo. Eight weeks is too long! So much happened, you have no idea."

"A lot's happened to me too, Mom. I feel like I'm practically a new woman!" Caterina smiled and shrugged, earning a giggle out of Maya.

Maya looked down at Caterina as they were walking, a little taken aback by how much the younger girl was staring at her. She frowned and stopped walking, "Is there something wrong? Does my hair look weird?"

Caterina shook her head. "No, it's just.. it's the first time I see you in so long." Maya smiled at Caterina and played with her hair. "You know, you look taller to me too, Mom." Maya playfully rolled her eyes and grinned.

"Come on, kiddo, let's go home."

Caterina looked at the view as they drove through Napa completely mesmerized. "Oh, by the way, thanks for all those newsy letters. I'm really glad I bought you all that personalized stationary you just had to have." Maya mocked.

Luna hadn't mentioned any stationary stuff. She held in a groan and apologetically looked at Maya, "I'm so sorry, Mom! We meant to write, but we just.."

Maya frowned. "We?"

Caterina's eyes widened. "Oh! I met this girl at camp and we got super close. Practically like sisters!" She nodded happily. "She's a lovely girl."

Maya raised her left eyebrow and let out an incredulous giggle. "Lovely girl? Why in the world are you so proper all of a sudden?" Maya smiled at her to let Caterina know that she was joking, earning a giggle out of her. Maya grabbed the girl's hand, taking a good look at it. "You really do gotta stop biting your nails, kiddo."

Caterina grinned. "I've decided to stop, Mom. It's a horrid habit, you know."

Maya laughed, "'Horrid girl', 'Lovely habit'," She glanced at Caterina. "Did I send you to summer camp or finishing school?" Caterina giggled. "And why do you keep saying 'Mom' at the end of every sentence?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was doing it, Mom." Caterina said with a smile, making Maya giggle. "Sorry, Mom. I just missed you so, so much. It had been too long since I said Mom."

Maya sweetly smiled at her and looked ahead, pointing at a sign saying, 'Bishop Vineyard and Winery', making Caterina's eyes widen.

"Oh, my God! Oh, my God, oh, my God!" She exclaimed, not being able to contain her excitement.