chapter nineteen

Carina was walking to the kitchen to get herself a cup of water when she was startled by a honk. She quickly walked outside, grinning once she saw Maya driving up the path. "Ciao! You're back so soon," She smiled, "Did you have fun?"

Luna jumped out of the car and shrugged, "I wouldn't say fun is the right word, Mamma."

Carina frowned, "You wouldn't?"

Caterina sighed as she stood up and got ready to jump off the car, "We've been punished for the end of the century." She whined.

"Starting now," Maya teased, "Go."

Carina looked around, her eyebrows scrunching up together, "Where's Charlotte?"

Luna let out a scoff as she walked up the stairs, "We played a couple of harmless tricks on her," She shrugged, "and she freaked out a little."

Maya laughed, "A little?" She hummed, burying her hand in her pocket and grabbing Charlotte's engagement ring, holding it up. "She threw this at my face. Least it's smaller than a hairdryer."

Carina's eyes widened as she pressed her lips together, fighting off a laugh. "Oh, Maya, I'm sorry, it's all my fault. If I hadn't suggested she go-"

Maya cut her off with a smile, "Well, tricked. Tricked would be more like it." She smirked and Carina chuckled, "Like mother, like daughters."

"Well, I really am sorry, Maya." Carina sincerely smiled at her and tapped Luna's shoulder.

Luna's eyes widened, "Yeah, I'm really sorry, Mom."

"I'm sorry too, Mom." Caterina also apologized.

Maya gave them a small smile, "Up to your room, now." She ordered, making the twins hurry inside.

Carina and Maya watched them as they walked inside and Maya let out a sigh, "I gotta remember to thank them someday." She smiled.

Carina turned around, eyes widened and she couldn't help but smile back a little too, lightly biting her lower lip. "Thank them?"

Maya shrugged and leaned against the rail, ignoring Carina's lip bite for her own sanity. "So, where's everyone? I'm starving."

Carina walked towards the rail Maya was leaning against and she also leaned on it, standing beside her ex wife, "Apparently Gabriela and Amelia really wanted to go shopping and Andy and Vic offered to take them. They left yesterday."

Maya laughed, "Well, I should've expected that. So, what do you say I make something for us to eat?"

Carina grinned, "You can cook now?", she teased.

Maya crossed her arms and playfully rolled her eyes, "Oh, you bet. I can make pasta," she paused, "and pasta... and well, pasta."

Carina hummed, "Bold choice to make for an Italian, Maya." She smirked, "Pasta sounds delicious."

Maya smiled and stood up straight, "I've always been bold, you know that," She winked and walked out, leaving Carina there with a grin on her face.

Maya wiped her palms against her jeans, she was too nervous. She took a deep breath and started to walk towards where Carina would be, quickly stopping in front of a mirror and fixing her hair up one last time. She walked up the stairs, finding Luna and Caterina on Luna's bed playing poker, Sammy sitting between them.

"Mom, you look nice!" Luna exclaimed with a smile, making Maya grin.

"Where are you going?" Caterina asked.