chapter twenty

Maya kissed the top of Caterina's head and tightly hugged her, "I'll miss you, kid." Caterina smiled sadly at her and pulled away, and they both looked over to Carina and Luna.

The rain pattered heavily on the windows and if that was any other situation, Carina would've found it to be quite poetic.

Carina had tears flowing down her face and Luna didn't look any different. "Ti voglio bene, bambina. I'll see you in a little bit." Carina tried to give her a reassuring smile and squeezed her daughter's shoulder. They pulled away from the hug and looked at Maya and Caterina.

Luna ran in their direction, engulfing her sister in a tight hug. Maya looked at the ceiling, not wanting to end up sobbing in front of her daughters and ex wife. "I wish it'd worked." Luna whispered to Caterina.

"Me too, Luna. So, so bad. I'll miss you." Caterina whispered back as a tear fell onto her cheek. They hugged for a little while and pulled away. They smiled sadly at each other and Luna grabbed an umbrella, taking her sister by her hand and leading her towards the car. They walked past Amelia, Gabriela, Andy and Vic, who were all also saying their goodbyes.

As the twins left Maya and Carina alone, Carina took slow steps and stopped in front of Maya. Carina looked down the entire time, she couldn't bare to look in Maya's eyes. Meanwhile, Maya couldn't stop staring at her.

Stay. Stay. Stay. Maya wanted to scream, but she couldn't. She knew she couldn't.

So, instead, she took a deep breath, "Take care of yourself." She said and placed her hand on Carina's shoulder, lightly squeezing, making Carina finally look at her.

Stay. Stay. Stay.

"Yeah, I will. You too." Carina gave her a small smile. Maya leaned closer and pressed a lingering kiss on Carina's cheek, making the Italian's heart break. "Bye." Carina whispered and grabbed an umbrella, leaving Maya behind.

Stay. Stay. Stay. Maya wanted to beg as she saw Carina walking away.

But she didn't.

She just watched from the doorway as Carina walked in the car and Luna, Andy and Vic ran back inside due to the rain.

The four of them stood there as they watched the car drive away.

The plane ride was excruciating. On one hand, Amelia and Gabriela wanted to yell at Carina but they knew they couldn't involve themselves in that mess. Because that's what the whole thing was, a huge mess, and Carina knew that. It was up to her to know what was best for her after all, wasn't it? Even if, in Amelia and Gabriela's opinion, Carina didn't really know what that meant in that moment.

On another hand, Caterina felt numb. At first, once the car was driving away, she'd looked back and the look on her mother and Luna's face broke her. She was sobbing the whole way to the airport as Carina tried to console her, but it hadn't worked.

Maybe because all Carina wanted to do was also sit and sob, exactly like Caterina was, but she knew she needed to be strong, she needed to be brave.

After Caterina had managed to stop crying, she didn't mutter another word until they got to London.

Funnily, or maybe poetically enough, rain also poured down in London. As they got in the car to go back to their house, multiple puddles formed in the streets of London. People ran on the sidewalks, trying to get out of the rain as quickly as possible.