CHAPTER 16 : Big Secret

Nunew POV

Putting on a long sleeve white shirt and short pants, I walked downstairs. There was a light music ,enough for people to hear yet not too loud where it invaded the room. Following the faint music, I stood paused at the doorframe of the office room. The music stop. Is it phone ringtone? The door is wide opened but nobody is here. I took a step inside, mesmerizing the tidied space. He is really a neat freak unlike me who keep messing things up. The room look chic and decent with black colored curtains and again..all black. He really do love black. The music earned my hearing again. I search the phone but it is not on the desk neither it is in my sight. Opening the drawer, the phone vibrated with an unknown number. Hia got another phone? My eyes latched on one of the pictures beneath it. Beads of sweat gathered around my forehead when I saw my family picture lying inside. Crouching down, my finger rummaging through the last drawer. I was scared with the idea of him keeping secret from me. We never talk about our family to each other but that doesn't mean I didn't care. Beneath the notepads, cards, abandoned document, I saw an old printed newspaper that almost lose its colour ink. I shouldn't doing this but curiosity get the better of me. Picking it up, I read the heading line in whisper. 'TWO MARRIED COUPLE WAS KILLED IN A CAR CRASH ALONG THE EASTERN COAST' I heard a light footfalls from living room but I was froze in my tracks. My hand clammed against the cold table,supporting myself. One thing about love is...it's pretty short lived.

'Nhuu! What are you doing here?' he stood still a metre away from me. I look down on my shaky hand. I felt my emotion are stripped naked in front of him. I wipe the tears streaming down my chin. 'Our parents.. do they involved in the same accident?' I looked up in hope of finding a trace of lie in his eyes but his unfaltering gaze confirmed my doubt. So it is true. 'Lets talk about it later' he took involuntary step closer to me while his hand slowly reaching for my arm but I flinched away. Tears streaming down as my emotion betrayed me. I felt weak. 'Grandpa know about it doesn't he? Thats why he got you married to me.. because he feel guilty?..umm..no wonder' I chuckle mockingly. I wish I could courageously said the phrase 'lets break up' to him. My head spinning and nauseousness lumping inside my throat. 'Nhuu.. let's go back to our room' he request but I ignored it. 'What else did you hide from me?' this reality sickened me so much that I hope this was a dream. Silence for a moment. I stormed out passed him as I enter our bedroom.

I simply want to go far away where no one knew who I am. I slammed shut the door only to be opened by him. Grabbing my stuff, I put everything in my luggage . Not much, I only need some essentials and warm clothes. And the momentos box given by my parents. Could I really live my life without him in it? The answer that I need to find out. 'Nunew! What are you doing?!' his voiced raised as he held my wrist up in the air,stopping me from stuffing my things. 'I'm leaving' I want so bad to yank off his grip on my arm but he is too strong. 'I can't turn blind eye on this!' as I wiping away my tears, another tear fell after another. Uncontrollably. 'Are you blaming me for your parents death?' his voice was feeble and meek. For some stupid reason, I want to hate him. I want someone to be blame. My parents death does give a big impact in my life .I know I let my anger clouded my judgement but Hia shouldn't keep this secret from me. 'You are right! I hate you!' I scream and he just shook by it as I. The word causing me to choke on my own sob. 'Leaving is not an answer! Don't be a coward..I could lock you up or even chain you..anything that could stop you..but I am not letting you go' he swung the door opened as he left. I didn't make any effort to even watch him leave. I fell down as the dam burst of tears flooding out. Where can I find my peace? I just want to leave.

I squirmed under the thin covers. Sweat dripping down my forehead and my heartbeat was thumping hard. Gruesome blood was flowing through the road tar and I felt the need to vomit . 'Mae..??' my eyes watered when I saw a glimpse of my mother only a few metres from me. She was smiling. Was it real? Curiosity get the best of me. But as I marched forward, the shadow of her getting disappeared into tiny bubbles. The tension building up and then... I awaken as my alarm goes off. Every night, the same dream haunting me. I hate it. My mind keep replaying the scene. The blood.. the chaos.. the scream. It plagued me. Everyday was a fight to silence the voice. Racing into the bathroom with a wobbly leg, I threw up nothing but water. My throat feels like it is on fire. The horrible dream image was enough to make me feel sickened.

I had been in my room for one whole week. Even when I was in here for extended period, there had been someone on the other side of my door. Hia have hired a person to took care of me . I heard low mumbling from outside though I couldn't make out the words they said. I tucked myself more deeply and covered myself up to my cheekbone. I curled my legs higher to my stomach. I turn my head when I heard a footstep approaching and I saw Hia come in with a tray of food. Putting the tray on the table, he sat on his side of bed. I noticed his eyes are dull and exhausted. His hair was disheveled. Our relationship is weird but he did treat me better than most. Somehow, there is a bond forming between us. A bond that will never set us apart no matter how much I resent him. 'Nhuu...please' he plead. 'Leave' I said blankly. His hand want to hold my face but I dodged. He look at me stilled. 'I said leave! I want to be alone' I raise my voice but he made no move to leave. 'Nhu..I'm truly so-..' and I cut him off. 'Go!!' he walked out, closing the door without words or a backward glance.