Chapter One: Embarrassment 1/2

Blood ...

Blood ...

Blood ...

"Remember, you promised." He coughs.

Blood ...

Blood ...

On my hands ...

On his face ...

Chapter One:

Growing up in Trickett, with an absent father, was like offering a piece of steak to a starving tigress, for the gossipers. Everyone knew everyone's first, middle, and last name. They knew who your family was just by glances at your face. It was impossible to go unnoticed in this town, let alone keep a secret or any form of privacy.

Our family never disappoints in delivering our fair share of scandals to talk about.

Teenage mother...

Never finished high school...

Father left her with two kids...

The only positive thing that has ever come from everyone knowing everyone was that when Finnic saved Liz Walker from being robbed in Eastern Park everyone knew. Everyone praised him.

When Finnic was made valedictorian, everyone was sitting in the bleachers listening to his speech.

When he scored ninety percent of the touchdowns his senior year, he was deemed a football legend. Trickett's citizens love their football, and the football players even more.

By the time I came into Trickett High, all the rumors about my parents had been washed away thanks to my brother. I was no longer the poor little girl with no dad. I was the sister of Finnic Hansel the man destined for greatness.

I thank him for that every day.

Unlike my social butterfly of a brother, I was riddled with social anxiety. Plenty of therapy visits and medications later me and my family realized that it was just part of who I was at this point.

I didn't like hanging out with people or meeting unfamiliar faces, I would rather stay inside and read so that I could feel all the emotions of living without having to risk doing it for myself.

Sad, I was aware of this, but I didn't just stay inside all the time, I did have a job and took some classes at the local college. Part of this fear of socializing was the inability to say no so it always ended up putting me in situations that I would prefer not to be in.

Such as this one...

Tom: Are we still on for, Olive Garden tonight?

My co-worker at Peaches Bakery had asked me out on a date and being the weird character that I unfortunately am, tripped over my words and somehow said yes.

If it wasn't for the fact that we would have to see each other every week, then I would have just not responded.

My part-time job at Peaches wasn't much on income but it did cover the bills and gave me experience and a little extra to put in my fund for my bakery.

I type out a response and then delete it, repeating this cycle until one is created that didn't make me cringe as badly as the previous one. I detested the idea of having to tell him no and hurt his feelings. Just dating him wasn't an option even if it would appease my brother and Liz. I didn't date, there was just too much baggage there for someone to be expected to unpack.

Me: Sorry, Tom. I don't think I thought this through when I said yes. It's nothing to do with you, I'm just not ready to date.

After reading over it too many times to count, hitting send was all that was left to do. Mustering up the courage through a few deep breaths I press my thumb down on the button. Then threw my phone face down on the bed not wanting the anticipation that watching the three dots would cause. It would just fester up some unreasonable panic and that was the last thing I needed any more of in my life.