Chapter Twelve: 2/2

The next couple of days goes by without too much happening, a pretty boring week. I'm not complaining, though because the more boring the day is the less drama the Forefathers are causing.

Harley has been slaving away all week not getting home until late at night. I think he's avoiding me which only eats at my subconscious telling me that I shouldn't be here. That this was his house, and he needed his space.

Even though he was absent he had one of his bodyguards follow me to work and stay around the house while he was gone. I've learned his name to be Gale and his co-worker's name to be Jared. Jared was the rougher-looking of the two even though both of them looked deadly. It kind of makes me chuckle to myself when I picture them following Harley around because Harley was bigger than the two. I give them credit though it would take a lot of time to find anyone bigger than Harley. He still had the size of a professional football player even though he hadn't played in years.

He was supposed to be taking off early today so that we could go into the tiny town here and buy some of the stuff for the gender reveal. If it was up to Harley I would never leave the gates, but I doubt that we find the fireworks in here. Though the town was diverse and stocked with gift shops, I didn't see a store with the promise of them.

It was getting close to three and the cookies I baked are almost done when he walks through the door. The first thing he does is take off his suit jacket and tie, seeming to despise the articles of clothing. I knew Harley wasn't head over heels for his job, but yet he still stuck with it, I'm not too sure why yet.

"I made cookies. Come try one." I try to convince him to talk to me, instead of rushing off to his bedroom.

"Okay." He didn't put up an argument like I expected him to do. Instead, he came and sat at the table as I fixed him a plate with hot chocolate chip cookies. They smelled so good my mouth was watering. They were simple but I did them justice, sometime simple was good.

"So, the plan is fireworks, decoration, and anything else?" He asked while munching on a scorching hot cookie.

"How are you eating that?" I ask as I gawked at him, steam still rolling off of the sweet goodness.

"It's not even that hot." He says as he takes another bite and I get caught up in his mouth moving for a moment too long. I shouldn't be scared of him like this, but my eyes had a mind of their own for a split second. That second was long enough for him to notice that something had caught my attention. I see the corner of his mouth perked up in amusement. I shake my head and turn around to get the rest of the cookies off of the pan before it overcooks them.

I feel the familiar unwanted warmth greeting my face. This couldn't get any worse, I shake my head at my foolishness. I needed to get better at controlling these thoughts before I ended up hurting something that wouldn't be fixed.

"No, that should be everything we need," I say quietly, trying to busy myself with something on the counter so that I didn't have to turn around where he could see my blush-ridden cheeks.

"Okay. Well, let me get changed and we will head out." He says before standing up as soon as I think he's gone I turn back around but he wasn't out of the kitchen yet. His gaze falls to my cheeks, and he seems to be puzzling over something hard because his eyebrows scrunch up like they always do when he's concentrated.

He turns away heading out of the kitchen. I'm sure what he said next wasn't meant to be heard by me. Maybe it was one of his crazy thoughts. Perhaps he didn't even know he had said it out loud, but as soon as I heard them all the air left my lungs.

"So damn beautiful."

It was whispered as he left, but I heard every word, my inside felt like they were on fire and the heat was trying to escape through my face. Redder than a tomato.

Durn you Harley Walker.

-.-.-.-.-
Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you❤️