Chapter Eight: 2/2

"Please fit." Liz was all put praying as I zipped up her wedding dress without a problem. I don't know what she was worried about, she barely had a baby bump yet. The wedding was tomorrow, and we were waiting on the other bridesmaids to get here. I knew some of them, but I didn't know them personally and I was nervous. I always stuttered over my words and never contributed to a conversation around new people.

It was the same reason why I never made friends in school, made me seem like an outsider.

I zip the last inch and she sighs in relief that the gown did in fact fit. "There you go."

"Does it look okay?" She asked skeptically. 'Okay' was a complete understatement, she is going to be a magnificent bride and this dress was made for her. Fitting her curves perfectly along with her personality, it was made for her.

"Liz you are beautiful. Finnic is going to be so stunned he's going to jam on his vows." We giggle at the idea, Finnic is always so well-spoken, it's what helped him become popular in school along with his football skills.

The doorbell rings. Liz looks down at the dress panicking a little before she looks at me and sighs. "You'll get that? Oh, pretty please. I don't want them to see the dress yet." I nodded, already feeling my throat closing. Liz pulled me in for a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Thank you."

She knew how hard it was for me to talk to new people. It wasn't a simple request she was making she knew it was making me uncomfortable. So, she showed her appreciation, physically, with touch being her love language. I'm not sure what my love language is, possibly acknowledgment.

That seemed fitting considering I always feel like I'm bothering everyone. Someone could win over my heart by just letting me know they enjoy being around me.

She releases me from the bear hug, and I step out into the hallway, each step feeling like I'm growing closer and closer to a panic attack. Just breath...

It wasn't the thought that shocked me it was the voice that my brain used to comfort me. Harley Walker, my brain thought of him to settle my nerves. What made it worse was that it was working. I could breathe a little easier. The panic attack settled in my gut instead of my lungs making me nauseated which was less crippling than panting.

I opened the door and two girls stood there about to ring the doorbell again. It must have taken longer than I thought to force myself down that hallway. The shorter of the two girls was a blonde-headed force of energy I could tell just by looking at her that she was younger than I was, and a lot more trusting.

"Sara." She stuck out her hand and I reached for it shaking it softly. trying my hardest not to embarrass myself in front of them. Feeling like that enraged high schooler again. The other girl was tan and tall looking like a model off a runway. She seemed gloomy but hopeful like something had set off her day more than she would have liked. The two seemed very fitting together true best friends.

"Natalie." She extended her hand, and I did the same shake, her grip feeling a little tighter than that of Sara's soft-skinned one.

I've seen them around before in town and I've heard something about Sara but nothing really about Natalie. She might be new to town.

"I'm Madeline. Maddie." I stare down at the floor before opening the door further and letting them walk in, shutting it back once they made it inside.

"So, the groom's sister?" Sara asked cheerfully.

"Yes." I didn't offer any more information because it wasn't needed, keep it minimum and I couldn't embarrass myself. Or at least that's what I told myself.

"I remember seeing you at the birthday slash engagement party. " Sara nudged Natalie's shoulder. "She was talking to Harley Walker. Seemed quite cozy." She giggles cheerfully and I blush from the turn in the conversation. Not exactly know what to say to that, it was not on my list of conversation topics I thought would come up.