Chapter Ten: Heaven and Hell 1/2

It was time for Liz to throw her boutique and I was standing by the punch with a glass in my hand watching the show. I didn't care to get caught up in their wrestling when she throws it. I would like to avoid the whole shebang, but I was curious about who was going to catch it. Would it be Natalie the everyday model, or Sara the cheerful future teller?

Liz throws it hard, way harder than the girls had anticipated, and they start chasing after it, but it was a futile effort because the flowers had landed perfectly in my cup of punch. I glance up at the disappointed-looking girls and smile awkwardly before holding the cup up and shaking it a little in cheers averting my gaze to Liz who was laughing her butt off. She was finding this hilarious. I chuckle awkwardly before removing the flowers from my cup and tossing it into the crowd because I didn't want the luck. I wasn't even open to dating right now. Surely one of these women would get married before me.

Sara catches it and I can't help but notice the look she throws in Asher's direction. He was off tussling with one of the boys that Harley had scolded at the diner that time.

Harley comes to stand by me. "Well, who's the lucky guy you're going to get married to?" He was teasing, he knew I didn't date it was a discussion we had before.

"When you find him let me know." I tease back just as Liz taps the mic to test it and get everyone's attention. Finnic had made his way up there with his wife and I see her glancing nervously out at the crowd, particularly her parents.

"Before a few people have the chance to leave, we have an announcement." My brother grabs her hand in a soothing gesture, making sure that she was comfortable. I wonder if their touch did to them what Harley's touch does to me. When their skin meets does it feel like they are the only two people in the world?

"We are expecting a baby in April." As soon as the words leave her mouth, I see her skin grow paler if that was even possible but in an instant, all the color returned when she saw the smiles on her parent's faces. They seemed thrilled to be getting gifted a grandkid. Does our mother know?

People cheer for the expecting parents. It seems joined events were becoming a thing of these families. The birthday party slash engagement announcement. Now a wedding and pregnancy announcement. I loved it.

Their cheers grow quieter, and my attention was stolen from the crowd when Harley places his hands on my hips as soon as the music began to play. Liz had already had her dance with her father as well as her husband. People slowly joined the center of the room to slow dance. His hand on my hips sent a sharp jitter through me that was so strong I nearly pushed him away.

"Is this a bad time to tell you that I don't know how to dance?" I change the subject as a tactic to make my heart rate decrease to a normal rate.

"I'll lead. You just follow." He starts to move us around and somehow; I fall into place with his steps surprising myself.

"See you're a natural." He pulls me closer to him when I become familiar with the footing. My chest pressed again his chest causing another zap to go in between us and I would give anything to be able to read his mind at this moment. His hands grew firmer against my hips, the tips of his fingers digging into my skin causing a gasp to escape from between my lips before I could catch it.

Our green eyes lock and all I can think about is that this man is driving me crazy. I rest my cheek against his chest because I need to escape his stare. My lungs sucked in air greedily, willing to be enough to clear my mind of all of these thoughts I have in my head right now.

I feel his breath grow closer to my ear. "That sound. That's my heaven and hell."                                   

We dance like this until the sound ended, and Liz and Finnic started to walk toward us. Harley clears his throat and lets me go slowly. His hands linger only briefly before he lets them rest by his side. I wish that song could have lasted a lifetime. I somehow feel like I would never grow bored or tiresome. It would remain just as exciting as the first time his hands landed on my hips.

"Look at you two so cute!" Liz yells as she pulls me into a hug. Finnic was staring at Harley with scolding eyes, but I knew it was him just doing his brotherly duties because Finnic had encouraged me to date Harley on many occasions.

"Everyone has almost left. The cleaning crew is on the way. We're headed out." Finnic explains. He pulls me into a side hug and whispers so only I can hear. "Be careful."

I blush crimson because I knew he wasn't worried about my well-being with Harley, he was worried I'd end up pregnant. I smack his side, aggressively. "Shut up. It's not like that."

"I saw the way he was holding you; you might think it's nothing, Sweets. If you've ever listened to me about anything. Harley has caught some kind of attachment to you." He stares at me with a serious look in his eyes.

Harley and Liz seemed to be having a conversation of their own. Her teasing him, I'm sure. So, I was free to give him my full attention.

"What do you mean?" I question, because 'some kind of attachment' wasn't a straight enough answer for me.

"Maddie don't be blind. The man lives a good thirty minutes away, yet somehow he ends up at your house twice a week." My blush grows brighter I wasn't aware that he knew Harley stayed at my place.

"I don't know sweets. It's this look in his eyes, I've never seen before. He would burn the world to the ground for you." Finnic knew Harley to a tee just as Harley knew Finnic, they were glued to each other's hips for the better part of nine years. So, I knew to take his comment seriously. If Finnic thought that Harley was getting attached then he was, but how? I knew we were friends, but the way Finnic worded it, almost seemed like the attachment was more than that.

Could he read me as well as he could read Harley? Has he seen me shiver every time Harley touches me or the way I lose my breath a lot when he's around?

"You ready, baby?" Liz walks up to us, coercing her new husband to follow her out of the venue. As they ran out the door, the remaining people threw flower petals all around them, sending them into their newfound forever.

Harley walks up to stand beside me both of us watching as they leave, "May they live happily ever after."

"Mr. and Mrs. Hansel."

-.-.-.-.-
Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you ❤️