Chapter Nine: 2/2

I wake up to shuffling in the bed, and then a sudden gust of words being muttered under his breath. The words came out right beside my ear and I shiver before turning around to see that he is good and awake. When did I fall asleep?

Harley's sleepy green eyes dig holes into my soul, he doesn't look away and I can't make myself even if it would be for the sake of self-preservation. I was willing to drown for him. At that moment even though it was a lunatic way of thinking.

"You are so beautiful." He murmurs still in a sleepy daze. Surely, he was talking out of his head. Or perhaps joking again, even if a grin didn't appear on his lips.

"I don't believe you." I close my eyes for a moment sleep almost whisking me back under when he murmured the last words of the night.

"It's obvious."

~.~.~.~.~

The smell of bacon fills my lungs and stirs me awake right before my alarm goes off. I groan willing my limbs to move so that I could shut off that annoying ringtone of mine. Who's cooking?

I stretch and remember that Harley stayed the night. A smile appears and I try to scrub it away with my hands. Go away. I wish I could demand my actions, but the smile remained as I stood up about to rush into the kitchen to make sure he was still there. I stop at my bedroom door realizing that my hair was a mess, and my teeth needed brushing. Plus, I was still in just a t-shirt and boy shorts.

I run around the room and get changed into a new t-shirt and leggings. trying to stay comfortable until I am put into the dress Liz picked out for me later. I brush my hair and my teeth quickly eager to see him this morning. It was silly but I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

I took a deep breath and slowed my steps so that I didn't look like a deranged lunatic running into my kitchen. Once I walked through the living room, I spotted him standing in front of the stove, his hair was wet from a recent shower. The sight of him cooking in my apartment should be illegal.

"Someone's finally up," Harley grumbles as I sit down at the kitchen table.

"It is only six in the morning, Harley. We went to sleep at one. I'm surprised you up this early." He put a plate in front of me and it smelled like heaven. Bacon, eggs, and a pancake laid there steaming from being so fresh.

"Thank you. It smells good."

"Me or the food?" He teases and I decide to tease back this time.

"Both." He glances over his shoulder and raises an eyebrow at me. "Just being honest."

"Figured we probably wouldn't have much time to eat before the wedding." He explains.

"Busy day," I add and he nods. The room felt a little awkward, should I address that we slept in the same bed? Is this why it's about?

"I-."

"W-."

We both start at the same time and then chuckle.

"You first." He says glad that he could put the fall on me. I should have just waited a couple of more seconds and saved myself from the embarrassment.

"You didn't bother me if that's what you worried about. Like, I'm not mad at you for sleeping in there." I explain awkwardly twisting my fingers over and over again.

"Still. It was a boundary I should have respected. I didn't mean to fall asleep, I was just so tired." He didn't look at me while he explained himself, guilt clear in his voice. He was being too hard on himself. I needed to say something that would lighten the mood and get us out of this funk.