Chapter 9

"Ouch!" Lena yelled as she grabbed at her slightly burnt arm. "I thought you said they were on low power mode!"

Rhodes shrugged and grinned. "They are. Kyber crystals are powerful enough that even on the lowest setting the lightsaber blade can still burn you. Now, ready position."

Lena groaned as she raised her purple saber in front of her. Rhodes did the same, waiting for Lena to make the first move. The two lightsabers emitted a glow much fainter than normal due to the low energy setting.

Lena clenched her teeth as she swung at her master. Rhodes ducked as Lena's lightsaber bounced off the hull of the Kestel. Before Lena could gather herself, the blade of Rhodes was pointed at her throat. "And you're dead," Rhodes chuckled.

Lena rolled her eyes as she deactivated her saber. "Why do we have to spar in the Kestrel. The cargo hold is too small for this. If we had more room, you would be the dead one."

Rhodes shook his head as he returned his lightsaber to the front of his belt. "Close quarters fighting is an important skill to master. The slightest wrong move can leave you open to attack... just like what happened a few seconds ago."

Lena crossed her arms and glared at Rhodes who still sported a smile. Content with the lesson that he had taught his apprentice, Rhodes turned and headed toward the cockpit.

As he took his first step he grabbed for his lightsaber, igniting it behind his head. Purple and green blades collided as Lena tried to take advantage of Rhodes' turned back. Hunter, who saw her intentions, began chirping in excitement.

"What is he going on about?" Lena hissed. Rhodes once more returned his weapon to his belt.

He continued to the cockpit to sit down before calling back saying, "To simplify it, he is laughing at you. Now take a seat, we should be nearing Alderaan."

Lena gave a light kick to Hunter who continued to snicker. She sat down in the co-pilot's chair without another word, still wearing a scowl on her face. A few minutes of silence passed before the navicomputer indicated that they had arrived. Rhodes powered down the hyperdrive and the planet of Alderaan appeared in the viewport. Rhodes made arrangements with the Aldera spaceport before setting the Kestrel down in one of the hangars.

Lena tried to disembark first but was stopped by Rhodes. "Forgetting something?"

Lena looked around, confused by his question. "What? I already switched my lightsaber back to full power."

Rhodes shook his head and signed. "Lena, that weapon that you are wearing on your hip will attract a lot of attention. The Empire hunts and kills Jedi. If they knew that you existed and that I was still alive, they would be after us. It would be best if you hid your lightsaber a little bit better."

Lena nodded and slipped the lightsaber into the pocket on the side of her leg that once contained her knife. "Is that better?"

Rhodes gave her a thumbs up before opening the door to the Kestrel.

Lena was first to exit followed by Rhodes and Hunter. The trio left the spaceport and stepped onto the pristine streets of Aldera, the capital city of Alderaan.

Lena looked around in awe at the cleanliness of the city. "Wow, this place is so nice," Lena commented, marveling at the towering silver buildings.

Rhodes paused in the street, taking the time to admire his surroundings. "It sure is. Way different than Nar Shaddaa, that's for sure."

He was right, this place was so much nicer than the city covered moon where she was born. Not only were the buildings nicer, but the air was cleaner, and the planet lacked the stench she had grown accustomed to on Nar Shaddaa.