Chapter 14

Abie was frozen in place. She recognized Rhodes the second he turned the corner into the last hall as he was spotted by one of the half-dozen cameras she had set up. Frisk was standing over her, still frustrated that some newcomer got to take point on his mission.

Abie tried to remain calm, a million thoughts racing through her head. Rhodes was about to walk right into a trap... her trap. There was nothing she could do without arousing suspicion. Abie moved her head slightly to the right to see her reflection in BO-Z's photoreceptor. The droid seemed to recognize Rhodes as well and was waiting for Abie to do something.

Rhodes was at the door of the room they had expected their target to be. He had no idea that she was across the palace at this point. Abie held her breath as Rhodes entered the room, her screen switching to a different camera feed.

Knowing she had to do something Abie swiveled her chair around to face Frisk. "We should take them alive. I am sure Gran-we would like to punish them himself."

Frisk stroked his scaly chin with two of his claws. "I suppose you are right, but if things get messy, I won't hesitate to rip them apart myself."

Not the ideal response she was hoping for, but Abie figured it had to do as she swiveled her chair back to the screens and reached for her commlink. "Take them alive, Aye. Set your blasters to stun."

She had spoken up just in time as the Triplets already had Rhodes and his crew at blaster point. Abie never received an answer from the bounty hunter but heard him relay the order to the others. Good, they will stay alive while I think of something, she thought, her eyes trained on the camera feed.

Just as she thought it was over, she saw Rhodes spring into action. Her heart began pounding in her chest as she watched the fight. On one hand, she wanted Rhodes and his people to win and escape. On the other hand, she wished they had just surrendered.

"There goes Cee," Frisk commented as Lena made short work of her opponent. "Can't see them winning this."

"These guys are good," Abie replied, trying to hide her slight smile.

"Not good enough," Frisk grunted. "The Triplets will soften them up for Dwig, Verm, and Sho-fi."

Before Abie could think of anything, Frisk was walking out of the small security room with the two Rodians and Mandalorian in tow.

"Stay here and 'supervise' us," Frisk said with clear disdain for her position of leadership.

Abie wasn't able to say anything before they were out the door. The second the door closed, Abie flipped down her goggles and began tapping at the computer. "BO-Z, I need you to find out where they are keeping the girl. If Rhodes is here to 'kidnap' her, he must have a good reason. I will access the palace schematics to figure out where Rhodes will be sent assuming he is captured alive."

BO-Z went to work, plugging one of its claws into the computer console. Abie skimmed through file after file while still keeping an eye on the security monitor.

By now she could see Frisk in the doorway with Verm and Dwig hiding behind his tall frame.

"I want them alive!" Abie reminded the rest of the team once the Rodians opened fire.

Abie couldn't watch, instead turning back to the files as she searched for the palace schematics. "Any progress, BO-Z?" Abie asked, keeping her eyes trained on the screen in front of her.

The little probe droid let out a flurry of beeps before unplugging from the computer. "What do you mean she isn't here? Frisk said he just moved her across the palace. That sneaky lizard," Abie groaned as she got back to work.