Chapter 22

Team B was moving quickly down the various corridors. The Star Destroyer was surprisingly empty. The group had already taken down three pairs of stormtroopers, all before they could call for help.

"Almost to the hyperdrive controls," Abie said with her goggles down, BO-Z showing her the schematics.

A few more steps and the three of them froze. The commlinks activated and everyone could hear McCart's words. They listened in silence, everyone shocked at what they were hearing.

"McCart," Abie muttered under her breath. "After all these years."

The next thing they heard was the igniting of Lena's lightsaber. Rhodes wore a clear concerned expression as did Twitch.

"I know nothing I say will stop you two, so go after her. I'll be right behind you," Abie conceded, bowing her head.

Twitch and Rhodes gave each other a nod and took off into a sprint. Abie tried her best to keep up but couldn't match the long stride and urgency of the two men.

They weaved throughout the hallways, heading toward the path the other team was supposed to take. The sounds of blaster fire and a humming lightsaber could be heard prompting Twitch and Rhodes to run faster. Rhodes already had his lightsaber in hand while Twitch was running with his blaster out. The two turned another corner to see Nina laying on the ground, holding her stomach.

"Look! It's Nina," Twitch pointed out.

The Twi'lek extended a wobbly finger to point down the next hall. Rhodes was first to reach her, quickly turning the corner.

It was too late.

Lena was lying unconscious on the floor with McCart standing over her.

"Lena!" Rhodes yelled as he reached out with the Force, pulling Lena's lightsaber to him. He ignited both sabers as the rest of the stormtroopers opened fire. McCart grabbed a hold of Lena's leg and began dragging her away.

Twitch finally caught up and stood behind Rhodes and returned fire, being careful not to hit Lena. With every passing second, it seemed like more stormtroopers were filtering into the hallway.

By now, Abie had joined the group and was tending to Nina. "We have to get her out of here!" Abie shouted over the sounds of blaster fire.

Rhodes ignored her and continued to slice through the light blue stun rings coming from the stormtrooper's blasters.

"Captain, I think Abie is right," Twitch called as he ran back toward Nina.

"I can't leave her!" Rhodes bellowed as he stumbled backwards, trying to keep up with the volume of fire.

Twitch picked up Nina while Abie came running to Rhodes' side. "We don't have a choice. We can't help Lena if we all get captured. There is more at stake here than just her."

As much as Rhodes hated it, Abie had a point. "Fine!" he conceded. "Let's go. I'll cover you."

"Not needed," Abie said as she reached for her belt. She grabbed two small spheres and tossed them on the ground. Within seconds, the hallway was filled with smoke. "Thank Lena for those," Abie said as she grabbed hold of Rhodes' wrist.

By now, Twitch had scooped up Nina and was running back toward the hangar. Abie and Twitch ran side by side with Rhodes following closely behind.

"Hunter! Come in," Rhodes yelled into his commlink. There was no response. "I know you are there! Now is not the time to ignore me. Get the Kestrel into space. Attack the Star Destroyer in orbit. We are going to need a distraction."