Chapter 31

McCart paced back and forth in the Governor's office. He was finally the Imperial Governor of Serenno. This is what he had always wanted except everything felt so wrong. While the outcome was something that he had coveted for months, the way in which he received it was not at all what he had planned.

The last thing he remembered before being knocked unconscious, was recognizing the face of the Jedi that slipped through his grasp the night he finally completed his betrayal of Cloud Squadron. Although he had cut his hair and was missing his usual trench coat, McCart was only fooled for a few seconds. But that was enough time for Rhodes to knock him out

Next thing he knew, he woke up on the floor of the holding cell in a pool of his own saliva. After an hour of banging on the cell door, the officer and stormtroopers stationed in the cell block came to get him. After he was recognized, he demanded that they contact the Grand Admiral.

McCart explained exactly what had happened to a very displeased Leneh. She never even responded to him. All she did was order the officer to confiscate the muddy tunic that McCart was wearing. She ended the transmission before McCart could say much else.

The next day, Grand Admiral Rod sent an official memo throughout the Imperial headquarters. It stated that Governor Kerrim had been arrested for treason, something McCart knew was not true. Leneh lying to the staff of the Imperial headquarters was not surprising. What was surprising was that the final part of the memo detailed that McCart would be the one taking over as Imperial Governor.

The words he was reading were ones that he had always hoped to see. Yet the only emotion he had felt since then was shame.

In the past two weeks he had stepped up to take on many of the roles that Kasdeya was responsible for and had done well enough. Despite the seemingly successful last couple of weeks, one thing still weighed on him. Every transmission to the Grand Admiral had gone unanswered. He hadn't heard from her in weeks.

That all changed when his nervous pacing was interrupted by the opening of the door to the office. For the first time in months, the Grand Admiral was standing before McCart in the flesh. She was accompanied by two stormtroopers, one of which was carrying a small glass capsule.

"Uh, Grand Admiral," McCart stuttered. "Welcome back to Serenno."

Leneh frowned as she sat in front of McCart's desk. "At what point can we dispense with the pleasantries, Governor, and just get to business?"

"Of course," McCart replied. "Although I wasn't expecting you until next week. What brings your return to Serenno?"

"I have recently come by some information that has accelerated my plans."

McCart took a deep breath. "And what would that be?"

Leneh shifted in her chair before motioning to one of the stormtroopers. "What do you know of the botany of this system?"

McCart always hated how cryptic Leneh was, and it was finally frustrating him. "I know enough. Why is botany important to our current issues regarding the rebels?"

Leneh ignored the question and took the small capsule from the stormtrooper before setting it on the desk. Inside the glass container was a small plant in shallow soil. "Are you familiar with this specimen?"

"No," McCart admitted while rolling his eyes. "I don't see why this is important."

Leneh sighed and leaned forward. "It is a shame that you pay little attention to the world around you. Whether it be art, astrology, or in this case botany, every bit of knowledge has the potential to aid in any number of goals. Today, a novice knowledge of the botany of this system has yielded the location of the rebel's secret base."