Chapter 83- Zaldrizey

Long ago, when Valyria was known to man kind, when Valyria was the most outspoken and outstanding city in the world, they made Houses.
They lived in a peaceful civilization near the Fourteen Fires where dragons came from. Of course, with the help of old magic. The Doom of Valyria is no secret to anyone in her world, everyone knows of it and everyone knows that once you enter what once was Valyria, you won't come out.

But Helena never wondered why that was. It had never hit her why people never managed to return from the lands that once was on fire from the Fourteen Fires.

But something told her she was about to find out.

"You see," the mystery king said to her, still walking around her. "You're not wrong, House Targaryen are one of the 40 dragonlord Houses. They left, many years ago, to a land discovered by Valyrians. They left for power, to secure the land. It was rumored that the Targaryens left because of the Doom that westerosi people know of so well. They're not completely wrong, you know. The Fourteen Fires did indeed happen, but it did not kill us. At least not all of us."

Helena heard every word but it did not make sense to her. She tried to understand but couldn't cope with what she was hearing.

"It wouldn't quite make sense that dragons, erupting from that fire, would die from the same fire. Just like the ocean is to mankind, likewise is the fire to dragons. Even the hottest fire cannot kill a dragon unless it is dragon fire."

"I don't-"

"Ah-ah." He said, looking at her strictly with an amusement in his face. That meant that she was not to speak unless asked to. And so she did not say another word, knowing it was the right thing to do.

"We Valyrians, dragon lords, we used... special magic. Ancient magic. I'm sure you've heard the term that fire cannot kill a dragon. We are dragons, we have dragon blood running in our veins. Quite literally."

He showed his veins on his arm, as if to show something beneath it. He then proceeded to take her wrist against his.

"As do you."

Helena looked at him in the most fascinating way, like a child seeing the sweetest sweets for the very first time.

"Have you not wondered why fire can't hurt you? Why it cannot kill you? I'm sure it has crossed your mind without any answers but the fact that you're a Targaryen. Which would, in theory, be the right answer."

"I am not a pure blooded Targaryen." Helena said, surprised that she spoke even when she promised herself she would not.

"That's the beauty of it," he proceeded. "You're a half blood, even so fire cannot hurt you. Damien told me all about you, which is specifically why I needed to make a decision. And it just so happened to be you."

"Decision?" Helena echoed, her fade following him as he pulled something out from a white bookshelf decorated with details of gold flower like petals.

"The Targaryens left because we allowed them to. In order to keep their promise, they made a blood vow. Every time a new King or Queen sits on the Iron Throne they have to sacrifice the first born or last born to me, in this case the Kings before me. The secret is passed down through relics that only the Targaryens can read, infused with ancient magic. Aerys, the last King, failed to deliver his promise. His last born, Daenerys Targaryen, was to be the one delivered to me. But it seemed that the westerosi managed to conquer and end the Targaryen dynasty."

Yes... Robert Baratheon handled the rebellion like none other. Helena read the stories, even so she used to listen to her father telling the stories. This was an act of heroism.