2. The woods

I looked up to see who had struck me, or what...

It was a white and black werewolf with a masked scent.

Slowly, it transformed into a girl my age with blonde hair reaching her waist, a pair of bright blue eyes, and red lips. She is Kassy, the princess of a neighboring pack. The daughter of Alpha John.

She stood with her head held high and her naked body in full display. "Why are you here, omega?!" She spat, disdain evident on her gorgeous face.

"I...I thought that no one would be here at this time, so I..."

"Enough of your excuses! The next time I see you here, I will hunt you down, and eat you...do you understand?"

"Uh yes," I nodded my head immediately.

A much more familiar scent hit my nostrils and I noticed the wolf in the distance. A silver wolf with a black stripe across its back walked up to us. I rose from the ground, feeling safer than before.

The wolf transformed into Jace.

It took all the muscles in me to not focus on his naked body. He stood beside princess Kassy, but instead of reprimanding her as I had imagined, he did something entirely different...

He grabbed her waist and pulled her body close to himself. She did not seem to object and wrapped her arms around his torso. He slammed his lips against hers and their tongues got entangled in a wet, igniting French kiss. He kissed her with so much passion and affection. And she didn't hold back either.

The pain from last night returned with full force, and I gripped my chest with my hands. I cried out from the building torture, I could not breathe.

I could not deal with watching him naked with another girl and kissing her like that. So, I turned toward the direction of the pack house and continued my journey home, except this time, my feet were on full speed. I was running?

'Why are you crying? Idiot!' My wolf, Mayi reprimanded me. 'This was bound to happen'.
I thought there was a connection between Jace and me. I dreamt that we would end up as mates, but I should have kept my head out of the clouds.

The pack house was in sight, but I was still running. Mayi couldn't stop me, no one could.

I felt another sharp pain in my back and fell to the ground again, bleeding. Mayi was trying to take over, and it hurt! I couldn't help but cry as she forced her way to the surface. It would take me a while to transform and that is because I hardly train. I spent so much time in the kitchen that I never really learned how to be a werewolf.

A pair of legs stood firmly before me; I looked up to see Jace towering over me. But this time, he looked angry. His body hadn't completely changed back to human form, hence, his ears were still elongated, and his fangs and claws were still visible. His forehead had lines on them, and I could feel his rage. Mayi retreated inside me like a coward. Fortunately, my clothes were still intact.

He stretched out his claws and grabbed a fistful of my hair. He pulled me up until I was at the same eye level as him. I looked into his eyes. In place of his grey orbs, were black ones. I swallowed hard. What could have made him so mad?

"Why did you run, omega?!" His voice came out as a growl.

I was lost for words. What befitting answer can I give? "I have to go home," I said in a shaky voice.

"I wanted you to watch me and Kassy, you stupid omega!" This wasn't him talking, it was his wolf. But why would his wolf care if I watched?

"..." my mouth opened and closed like a fish.

"I wanted you to watch me fuck another woman right before your eyes!"

"W-Why?"

"You deserve to suffer... I know you get the feeling anytime I have sex with other girls." He lifted his right eyebrow mockingly. "I know you writhe every time I pound another female. This is what you deserve. I will never accept you as my mate, remember this!"

He threw me back on the ground and walked off further into the woods. I got up and continued my journey back home, limping from the numerous hits I had received.

I never knew he felt it too, he knew about our bond but he kept it a secret as though I were an abomination. He will be mocked by his friends for being mated to a good-for-nothing omega. It hurts that my mate hates me this much! It hurts!

I can feel his hatred towards me every time, so I know how much he despises me. But will I suffer for the rest of my life? Will I cry every time he is with someone else?

The only way he can reject me is in front of everyone. But for that to happen, everyone will have to find out the truth, and I know that is what he is avoiding.

I entered our quarters through the back door still bleeding, and feeling dizzy.

"Lana!! What happened to you" My mother grabbed me before I fell to the floor. Three other omegas rushed to my aid.

"Nothing" I breathed out.

"Where are the groceries?! It's almost time to prepare dinner!"

"I...I lost them"

She pushed me away and I hit the floor. "You are useless! Now, I have to send someone else because your lazy behind couldn't even get what I asked for. How many times have I warned you not to follow the woods?! Your ears are for nothing... nonsense!" She marched out angrily. The other omegas walked away as well.

I lay on the floor, holding my head from the fall. Her duty always comes before me.

I got up and dragged myself into my room. But before I could shut the door, a pair of hands held my arm, startling me. "Uh, Beta?" It's Bret!

"Hi, Lana" He joined me inside my room.

I looked down right away, remembering that I am not supposed to make eye contact. Although I got a quick glimpse at his bright blue eyes. "Hi, Beta"

"You don't have to look down, we are all the same."  He brought his index finger under my chin and gently lifted my face. " I know you are Jace's, true mate"

I was shocked. "You know?"

"I'm his best friend, remember? He told me. He's not mad at you, he's just mad at the moon goddess. Ignore him for now"

"How can I do that when he keeps bullying me? Why hasn't he just rejected me?"

"It's not that simple"

"But-"

"Lana, don't you know that the mating bond between an alpha and an omega is stronger than any other? You and Jace are practically inseparable, if he rejects you wrongly, you both could die"

I gasped, "I didn't know that". "Fine, I understand"

"Good girl" He embraced me, and I felt warm and fuzzy inside.

Why isn't Bret my mate instead? I blushed just thinking about having him as a mate. His warmth started something in me, something I didn't understand.

"Lana!!" Bret and I looked towards the door.

"Jace?"