21. The Unbridled Bride

It felt as though I was watching a movie. With the storyline unfolding right before my eyes. Except for this time, it was my story that I was watching. Scene after scene played out while I watched.

The mating ceremony was to take place the next night. Everyone wanted it but me, somehow, I'd become the AH if I refuse.

On the day of the ceremony, I was made to sit in front of a mirror for two and a half hours for makeup.

Jace's mom entered the room when the makeup artist was putting on some finishing touches. She stared at my reflection in the mirror with awe in her eyes. "Such a beauty. Jace made a mistake by not seeing you the first time."  She giggled, and the five other girls in the room giggled with her.
Ugh, take me now!

"You were so happy with his decision back then, why are you complaining now?"  I retorted. Who the hell does she think she is?

A fly could enter her mouth with the way she hung it open. "Well, I was doing what I thought was best for my son. When you're a mother, you'll understand"

"No. When I'm a mother, I'll teach my son to know what he wants and to stick to his decisions."  I struck back.

She huffed and puffed, but masked it all with a smile.  "I'm glad he's fixing his mistakes."   Just then, Talia walked in with a white dress. Jace's mom lit up when she saw it.  "Well, let me show you the dress you'll be wearing today."

I accessed the dress . The embroidery looks like it could be from the 15th century, it is a turtleneck dress with puffy sleeves that go high as Mount Everest. "I wouldn't be caught dead in that"

She gasped. Oh, she was so offended af. "This dress is a family heirloom! My mother wore it, and so did many generations before her."

"Hadn't Fire been discovered at the time?"

She seemed confused. "Of course it had"

"Then why didn't they burn this hideous dress?!"

"Lana Grey! I do not appreciate your tone, young lady! Whether you like it or not, this dress will be worn by my son's bride."

"You got your wish already, Luna. I'm sure Kassy wore it. Didn't she?"

"Of course she did."

"Great! One of your son's brides has worn the dress. You can rest easy knowing that your mother won't be turning in her grave because of a stupid dress"...

She was in tears at this point. She started yelling. "You have changed, Lana! This is not the sweet Lana I used to know!."

"If the sweet old Lana would've worn that thing like an idiot, Then say Hello to Bitter Lana, 'cause I ain't wearing that."

She stomped out of the room like a little kid who didn't get her wish for Christmas.

Talia came to stay beside me. She had a smile on her face. Soon, her smile turned into a cackle. All the omegas joined in, we were laughing our heads off.

***

I stepped into the garden in my simple yet elegant off-white dress, a bouquet of red roses in my hand, and a crown of flowers on my head. I had a pair of slippers on, because no one cares...it's midnight.

Sir Adriano held out his hand, and I accepted it. A beautiful melody played in the background as we walked through the path leading up to the aisle. Friends and family stood on either side, watching me walk to 'the man of my dreams.'  If this had happened back then, I would have been over the moon. I can imagine my dad and my mom in the crowd, smiling at me as I take an oath of eternity with my mate. But sadly, this is the reality. I am unhappy.

I try my hardest to distract myself from looking at Jace. Yet, I can't help but be curious. His eyes held such admiration as I got closer to him. He had on a white shirt on black trousers. I am thankful that I didn't follow his mom's advice and ended up looking like I just came through a time machine.

Sir Adriano handed me over to him and he accepted me with all the joy in the world. We stood in front of the elder of the village as he said some words I didn't pay attention to. I couldn't help but picture Peter in Jace's place. In place of those grey eyes would be brown ones. and in place of that blond hair would be black ones.

Just as we were starting to take the oath, the ground shook under our feet, accompanied by an explosion. A mushroom of flames going up to the sky could be seen in the distance.

A dagger flew out of nowhere and struck the elder in the chest. The elder fell to the ground, dead.

We all got in a defensive stance. Who could this be?