20. Making a choice

LANA's POINT OF VIEW

ONE DAY AGO...

"I didn't see it coming!" I paced up and down my room.

"Lana. Calm down." Peter cooed.

"He wants to claim me as his mate after years of denying me? Ugh! The nerve of this man".

Peter got up from the chair he'd been sitting on. "If things go as I planned, the marriage won't happen..."

I paused and turned to him. "Are you okay with all of this?"

He furrowed his brows. "Do you think I am?"

"You're a tad too unbothered"

"Why would you say that? Of course, I am afraid of losing you. But as I said, the marriage won't hold. This will help the mission"

"Your mission is more important than the fact that I might be forced into marrying another man?"

"Lana, don't say that. Hear me out-"

"Don't talk to me! Get out of my room. Now, Peter!"

He sighed and went out.

I fell onto the mattress in tears. Why do the people I hold above everything else, hold everything else above me?

Knock!! Knock!!!

I heaved out a sigh of frustration. "Go away, Peter!"... "Oh, Abuela"

"Are you disappointed to see me, child?" She walked towards me.

I sat up. "I don't even know how I feel"

She sat beside me. "You must have heard"

"Of course I have. I mean, I wasn't happy that Sir Adriano waged war on the entire pack, but this isn't good either."

"See the silver lining, child. You get to be with your mate, isn't that what you always wanted?"

I threw my head back and groaned. "I don't want him anymore, Abuela. The feeling isn't there."

She stroked my hair. "Can I tell you something?"

"Even if I say no, you'd still say it. So, shoot"

"Jace never wanted to hurt you, I could see it in his eyes. No one in their right senses would give up the most amazing feeling of having a true mate. He wanted to keep you close, but there were too many forces holding him down. He gave in to those forces eventually. He chose to let you live even when I told him the consequences."

Wait a minute. "What consequences?"

"El hechizo de supresión is a dangerous spell. Even after its reversal, things will never return to what they were. It is a spell that deals with life and death, so it is unpredictable. In his case, I warned him that if you ever regain your wolf, then his life will be in danger."

"Hold up, Abuela... I don't understand"

"He has less than a month to mate with you, or else he will die"

Memories of the day I was chased out of the pack came back to me. I thought I had gotten over it, but no... I still cry anytime I remember everything.
"He didn't care about my parents, why should I care about his life?"

"If we keep on looking back, we will never move forward."

"Easy for you to say." I shook my head.
Stubborn buds of tears forced their way out to the surface, beclouding my sight.

"Adriano's Father was the man who murdered my entire village."  Her voice wavered. A single tear escape her eye, but that one tear carried the weight of the world.