17. Dreams

"Lana dear. Lana, wake up"

I stretched my body. "Go away."

"Wake up, child"

Child? I opened my droopy eyes and almost jumped out of bed. "Mom?" I looked around us.
We were in the room I shared with Talia, in the pack house.

My mom had on her favorite blue dress. "Come, child. We have a lot of work to do. Come on." She walked out the door and I followed her.

What is happening? I don't remember coming back here. And my mom? She is still alive?

"Hi Lana"

I was brought out of my train of thought when a group of omegas greeted me. They were my friends. Haven't seen them in ages. "Hi" I greeted back. I stepped into the kitchen after my mom. Whoa! It's just how I remember it. Everything is in its rightful place, just the way my mom likes them to be. "Uh, Mom?"

"Yes?" She kept her focus on the flour measurement she was doing.

"How did I get here?"

She looked at me, her brown eyes glimmered in the light from the window. "What kind of question was that honey? You've been lying here the entire time"

"What?" Was it all a dream all along? Had things never gone wrong? The Beltrans, Peter, didn't they happen?

My mom continued what she was doing. She began humming her favorite tune. I embraced her from behind. She giggled. "This is new"

"I know mom, I should've done this many times before. I'm sorry."

She chuckled. "Okay, fine, I'll give you a break, go have fun outside, Jenny can help me."

"Okay ma". My mom has never given me a break. Might as well take advantage of it before she changes her mind. I walked out of the house. When I got to the front porch, I sighted the boys playing tennis on the court.

Bret left his friends and came over to meet me. "Hey, Lana, how've you been?"

"I've been great"

"You wanna come hunt with us?"

Wow! An omega has never been asked to hunt by a beta before, today is such a good day. "Okay, sure"

I walked ahead of him as we entered the woods. I was lost in the beauty of the place that I totally forgot about Bret. I stopped and looked back, but he wasn't there anymore. "Bret?"

Suddenly, the sun was replaced by the moon and the bright blue sky was replaced by the night sky! Okay, this is becoming weird now...

I looked in front of me and saw shadows and figures in black hoods, coming out from behind the trees... witches! My head felt swollen, my body felt cold as though I had been immersed in an ice bath. And my skin was covered with goosebumps.

The first witch came closer with a staff in her hand. The sound of my heart pounding reverberated in my head. I turned around and began running... I halted in my tracks when she appeared in front of me everywhere I ran. I missed a step and fell to the ground. She stood above me, she lifted her staff in the air and struck me in the head!

"No!!" I screamed. Wait a minute... I found myself inside the torture room.

It was a dream?

My mom... I saw my mom... It felt so real.

I brought my knees to my chest. I'm trapped in this place. I want to leave. Get me out of this hell, Peter.

Before I knew it, I fell asleep again.