14. Lana

JACE's POINT OF VIEW

It took all the strength in me to control myself. I wanted to hold her in my embrace, but then, I remember the many reasons why I cannot. Firstly, I am with Kassy now. Secondly and most importantly, I hurt her deeply and she may never have forgiven me. I haven't even forgiven myself for putting her and her family through all that.

I knew she was my mate from the day I turned sixteen, but it took her a while, and she still wasn't sure. I smelled her scent whenever she and her mom served us dinner. Strawberry with a hint of chocolate. I just couldn't explain the sweetness or the joy I felt whenever she was around, but I didn't want to show any sign of weakness.

My father was a big bully, he taunted me about being weak and warned me to never let him down. He demanded the best out of me. How was I going to tell him that my true mate was a mere omega? He would have killed her if it meant me getting free from the bond.

Only Kassy and my mom knew about the mating bond. Kassy was mad and wanted to kill her, but I stopped her. So, she suggested a method that only a few knew.

She took me to a witch, who promised to sever the bond between Lana and me. That was the night I invited her to the woods. I wasn't sure what they'd do to her, but it was something called the Suppressant spell. All I knew was that after they did it, I didn't feel any connection to Lana again. I was free, but the way she had to flee from our pack... that wasn't part of the plan. I didn't know it'd get this far.

My dad and Kassy's dad gave the go-ahead on Kassy and my mating ceremony. Now, I am the new Alpha, and Kassy is my chosen mate. She knows the Beltrans and wants us to get closer to them to expand our territory. That is how we came to the Beltran mansion.

"Lana" I called her.

"Jace"  Those big hazel eyes of hers stared right into my soul. As always, she is gorgeous. Her luscious reddish-brown hair was put in a high ponytail. She is a maid now, I felt awful but at least she has a family, and I don't want to ruin that for her.

"What do you want?" She folded her hands on her chest.

"I just want to see how you're doing"

"Don't you worry about me" She turned away.

"I just...I just wanted to say that I am sorry, Lana"

"What about my parents?" A hint of hope laced her eyes.

"They were killed by my dad"

Her eyes watered and closed her eyes with a heavy sigh. She looked back up at me. "No. Don't blame this on your dad, it was all you, you coward!"
She walked off, leaving me there. I hate myself enough for both of us, Lana.

I returned inside the house and was shown to the room where Kassy and I were meant to stay. I entered and locked the door. I sat on the bed and buried my face in my hands.

Kassy walked out of the bathroom wearing red lingerie and heels. Her hair was let down and she looked like a goddess. She catwalked over to me and started kissing my lips. I kissed her back, or at least, I tried to.

She broke the kiss. "What is your problem this time, Jace?"

"Kassy, can I just rest a little? The ride here was long and tiring."

"It's because of that weak omega, right?"

"What? What are you talking about"

"Don't play dumb with me! You think I don't know that you went to see her? I always hated that omega because she followed us everywhere, now, she is literally in the same house as us"

"That is not even an issue. I have no business with her, remember?"

"Then why haven't you made love to me for months?!"

I lay down on the bed. "Kassy, please, this isn't our house, someone might hear us"

"I'll tell the witch to get rid of her, and for good this time."

"The witch?" I sat up.

She looked at me as if I was crazy. "You can't be serious, you didn't catch the accent?"

Realization dawned on me. "Wait... hold on a minute. Sofia Beltran was the witch from that night?"

"Congratulations genius, you finally figured it out!" She returned to the bathroom and jammed the door vociferously behind her.

I have to tell Lana this. I checked the clock on the wall above me, 11 O'clock.

I got out, went downstairs, and asked one of the guards where their maids were. He directed me to the maid's quarters. I followed his direction.

When I got there, I saw Lana talking to another guy. They seemed to be whispering about something but stopped when they saw me.

"Jace?" Lana walked toward me. "What are you doing here?"

I turned back. "Nothing, enjoy your night" I hastened away.

She caught up with me. "What do you want to tell me?"

I stopped and faced her. "Who is he?"

"Who? Peter?"

"His name is Peter. I see..."

"Are you jealous right now? Heck no, Jace. You have no right to give me that judgmental look, not after everything you put me through. Besides, what does your perfect mate think of you coming here?"

I didn't answer. She is right, I shouldn't be acting jealous. But why am I jealous?

"Forget I came here, Lana. Just go back and be with Peter. I'll leave you to it. Just be careful of Madam Sofia"

"Abuela? Why do you say that?"

"She was the witch"

She stared wide-eyed at me. "Are you serious?"

"I have no reason to lie-" A voice echoed in my head.

It was from Bret. "Alpha." He called through the mind link. "Your mother, she's sick"

"I'll be right there." I cut the link and stared into her beautiful eyes. 

"Goodbye, Lana. We may never meet again, but know that I will always love you."  I kissed her forehead and made my way out of the quarters.

That night, I left to be with my mother. Kassy followed me to the airport but changed her mind at the last minute and decided to stay a bit longer. I felt uneasy about leaving her there alone with Lana, so I made her promise to stay away from her. She swore on her father's life. I had no choice but to believe her.

I headed for the pack to see my Mom.