13. Guests from the past

I had no reason to stay back anymore except for my deal with Peter. I was mad at the son of a b*tch. He didn't fill me in on this damn family, now I'm stuck with the same kind of people I ran away from.

I used to have so much respect for Abuela, but after the gruesome way she killed Ava, not to mention what her son did to the gang members, I didn't see her the same way anymore. I was practically counting the minutes until I get out of this hell hole. But I always myself asking the same question: 'Will I ever be free?'

Ever since that night, no one mentioned Ava's name. It was as though she never existed. I was assigned her former duties including cleaning Nico's bedroom, a job I detested. Nico is the most disgusting human being I had ever met. Like, dude, no one said you shouldn't masturbate, just don't leave disgusting pieces of evidence lying around for me to pick up. Need I say more?

I was busy changing his bedsheets when he entered the room. I could smell the vape from where I was. He moseyed over to me and grabbed my waist from behind. You f*cking bastard!

I pushed him away from me that instant and moved far away from him. I was about to exit the room when he yelled behind me. "Don't be such a pain! You should be happy that I even get to notice you"

I turned to him, my blood boiling in my veins as I glared daggers at him. "Like Ava, right?" His face fell and he struggled to respond. I didn't wait for his answer. "I'll come back to finish cleaning the room when you're done, Sir Nicolas."

I went out before I could break down in tears in front of that good-for-nothing.

I cleaned the room later on after he went out with his friends. I couldn't take it anymore, I needed to leave!

***

Through the window, I saw Peter underneath one of the oak trees near the garden. I went out to meet him there. He stood with his back facing me, seemingly lost in thought. The only sound between us was silence.

"This tree was planted Seven hundred years ago." He said this with his back still facing me.

"How did you know that?" I walked closer to him and stood side by side with him.

The side of his lips lifted into a smirk. "I know an awful lot about trees"

I didn't share in his ephemeral amusement. "Why am I still here, Peter?"

He raised an eyebrow. "You know why"

"No, I don't. I have nothing left. It's only a matter of time-"

"We made a deal"

"Well, you forgot an important detail, these people aren't even human"

He shrugged. "That changes nothing"

"It changes everything. They can sense trouble, and we are trouble"

"Hmm." Was his only response before he began walking further into the garden. I followed him.
He stopped in front of the blooming daffodils.  "Lana, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but you aren't safe anywhere as long as the Beltrans are involved. I can only protect you if you're close to me."

"I don't need your protection, I can take care of myself"

His eyes moved to something behind me, and before I could follow his gaze, he wrapped his arm around my torso and pulled me close to himself. The next thing I felt was his soft lips pressed against mine. We stayed that way for a few seconds.

He broke the kiss, brought his lips to my ear, and whispered. "I'm sorry for kissing you without permission, but Abuela was standing behind you. I needed to give her a reason for seeing us together."  

"Okay," I whispered back. But no matter the reason, I wanted more. So I kissed him in return while our hands rubbed each other's backs.

We finally broke the kiss, and he held my waist. "Please don't go, I need you"

"What do you want me to do"

"Just be yourself, do your normal thing. Leave the rest to me. Soon, we'll be out of here. You trust me?."

"I do"

"Thank you."He let me go.

I turned and headed back inside the mansion.

I hope I'm not making a big mistake trusting you, Peter.

***

I entered Abuela's room to serve her lunch.

She watched me as I placed the various food options on her table. I ignored the knot at the pit of my stomach.

"So, you and Pedro?" She asked.

I paused from pouring the water into her cup. "Um, maybe"  I feign a blush.

She grinned. "He is a good boy. Adriano took him in like a son many years ago. You will make a fine couple."

"Hmm" I forced a smile. "Enjoy your lunch, Abuelita"

"Oh, least I forget... We'll be having guests tonight. A young Alpha and his mate. Inform Maria to make something delicious."

Guests? "Okay, Abuelita."

I left her room to go relay her message to Maria. I couldn't help but feel anxious... something terrible is coming, I could feel it.

*

At 5:30 pm that evening, Felicia came to the kitchen where Maria and I were preparing dinner.

"The guests have arrived"  She announced.

We put everything in order and the maids came to take them away. I almost forgot to serve the wine, so I took a bottle to the dining table.

Sir Adriano was there with Abuelita and Nico on either of his sides. The guests sat right after Abuela, though I could not see their faces.

I poured the wine into their glasses... First, I filled out Sir Adriano's glass, then Abuela's, and Nico's, before I poured wine into the guests' glasses.

"Lana?"

My hands paused mid-air. That voice!

I looked up. It was Jace and Kassy! I continued what I was doing, but this time, my hands were shaking.

When was I done serving the wine, I returned to the kitchen, but I couldn't breathe. My chest suddenly felt congested. I needed some air, so I went out to the back.

I stood facing the forest, this forest reminded me of the woods back at our pack.

Memories of that night with Jace came flooding through my mind. Seeing him today, I, I don't know how to explain how I feel. I was bonded to him once upon a time in my life, but he clearly has moved on. He has a mate, Kassy. I saw it coming.

"Lana" Someone called me from behind.

I turned back, and there he was. His newly grown beard changed his appearance and made him seem more mature and more handsome.  My breath got hitched in my throat, my heartbeat multiplied, and my hands started sweating. Why do I feel this way despite our bond not existing anymore?

"Jace"