8: Not so Easy-Peasy!

A week had passed since the incident. I was certain that I'd get fired, but to my astonishment, someone else confessed to the theft... It was Maria!?

I know what you're thinking, she would never do such a thing, so why in the world would she take the blame for it? I think so too.

It all worked out in the end. Abuela let her off with a slap on the wrist and the case was sealed forever. That doesn't mean I won't teach Ava a lesson though.

My alarm clock went off at 5 am on a Saturday. I pressed a button on the device to make it go quiet. My eyes were still droopy from not getting enough sleep: I spent the entire night devising plans on how to achieve my goal. Although playing a maid in the mansion was fun, it wasn't the reason I came there in the first place.

Sir Adriano has been out of the country since the night I first saw him, even Peter disappeared with him. Now that people are beginning to trust me around here, perhaps I can go check out Sir Adriano's home office.

I got out of bed and took a quick shower. I was ready by 6:10 and made my way out of the maid's quarters. Maria and some other workers had already started their duties. The aroma of fried omelets tackled my olfaction and made my mouth water.

I took a broom from the broom cupboard and went to start my work as well.

Abuela and her grandchildren were still sleeping. And if there's anything I've learned in this house, it is to never wake a person in a deep sleep, unless you have no other option. Silly, right?

I got to the highest floor and entered the office. This floor is off-limits to most maids, so if I get caught, I'll pretend like I did not know that. Easy-Peasy!

An ambiance of uneasiness welcomed me as I stepped foot into the big office. The walls and the ceiling are black and red. There is a wide desk to the left side of the door, and a floor-to-ceiling glass window behind it. Thankfully, the window is covered by a tall red curtain, which reassured me that my activity will not be seen by those outside.

I scanned the documents and folders neatly arranged on the desk but only found contracts and business proposals pertaining to the Beltrans construction company. I checked the drawers, but found the same thing. I'm not surprised, who'd keep illegal papers out in the open for everyone to see?

There was one more place to look. I clicked on the computer sitting on the desk, and it booted to life and demanded a password. Crap! What should I use?

I typed in 'Alma' but that wasn't it. What next?! I typed in 'Nicolas', but that was also a hard No. I used their birthday dates, but nothing. Shit! There is no time! I was starting to hyperventilate for some reason. My heart rate increased by a few more beats per second. My hands became sweaty and slippery on the keyboard.

After the fifth failed attempt, I started to chicken out.

Suddenly, I heard a voice in the hallway. Damn it! Why did he have to come back today of all days?! I turned off the computer and went to hide behind the sofa in the corner. Not a very smart choice but in the heat of the moment, that was the best I could do. Crap! My broom! I rushed out of my hiding place and ran to grab the broom from the floor near the desk. The voices drew closer and closer until the door was opened. I held my breath out of fear. My heart thumped against my chest.

"I put you in charge for a week, and I've gotten several complaints about you, Nico!"

"Oh come on, papá, I am only nineteen"

"I was sixteen when I took over the family business from your Abuelo, so don't give me that excuse-" Sir Adriano paused. "Who is in here?!" His authoritative voice resounded to every end of the office. I froze.

His footsteps drew closer and closer to the sofa where I was hiding, until... My good Lord!

"Mr. Beltran." A far more soothing masculine voice came from the door.

Sir Adriano's footsteps came to a halt. "Peter, just the man I want to see. I can sense that there is someone here,"  His footsteps continued toward the sofa.

"Oh, no sir. That is probably me." Peter said immediately. "I was here earlier, looking for you."

He was?

"Oh, well in that case," Sir Adriano's footsteps retreated to the desk. "So, how was the shipping?"

"All done." Peter came to sit on the sofa that I hid behind. "They will arrive in The Bronx this afternoon." The Bronx? Damn.

Sir Adriano chuckled throatily. "Tell Delaney to prepare his warehouse."

"Already done, Sir. His club will feature the newest batch of opium tonight. Eight teens from wealthy families have placed their orders already."

"Smart man. Well then, I better go rest. It has been a long week. Thank you, Peter. And tell the commissioner that I will not forget his kindness"

"Sure will do, Mr. Beltran"

"Vamos Nico." Sir Adriano and Nicolas left the office, leaving Peter behind.

Peter stood up from the sofa, his footsteps lingered for a while before he left the office, and shut the door behind him.

When I was certain that the place was empty, I took my broom and exited the floor.

I walked downstairs with the newly obtained information banging on the door of my mind. I need to tell Edna ASAP.

"There you are, nueva chica." Ava stood at the foot of the stairs with her hands folded on her chest. "Where have you been?"

I took slow strides toward her. "Why do you care?"

"I care because the Beltrans are like family to me. Abuela is having breakfast right now yet her room is not cleaned up. If you want to lose your job, all you have to do is quit"

"I'm sure you'd like that"

"Hmph! Why would you think so?"

"Cause I know what you've been up to, Ava"

"What have I been up to, nueva chica?"

I shook my head. "I don't have to tell you, vieja"

Her smile faltered just a little. "You have nothing on me"

I checked my wristwatch. "Oh, would you look at the time? You should run along, we wouldn't want to keep maestro Nicolas waiting now, would we?"

Her smile disappeared completely. "..." Her mouth opened and closed.

"As I said, I know what you've been up to. Do have a nice day." I patted her shoulder and walked past her.

I quickly did my duties, went down to my room, and shot Edna a text message...

'New batch of opium - The Bronx - Delaney's warehouse and nightclub - tonight'

Let the fun begin...