18. Ava

"Lanita" A pair of soft hands caressed my forehead until I opened my eyes.

"Maria!" I embraced her. I recognized my room. "Wait, is this another dream?"

She laughed. "Then I must be an angel. But no dear. We found you unconscious in the cell, you were-", She whispered.  "-a wolf"

I cackled. "It wasn't a dream? Mayi is back?"

"Who is Mayi?"

"Never mind. Yes, you're right, I am a werewolf. Wait when you said 'we', you mean?"

"Me, Peter, and Abuelita." 

Abuelita ei? "Oh, okay".

The door opened and Peter's head popped out from behind it. When he saw me, he smiled and entered with a plate of steak. "For the werewolf in the room... A peace offering so she doesn't eat me."  I jumped out of my bed and wrapped my arms around him. "Easy there, wolfy." He laughed and held me with one hand until Maria took the tray from him.

"I missed you, Peter"

"I missed you more, baby," He cooed. Maria excused us, and Peter and I sat down. "Here, eat". He fed me some steak and salad.

"You aren't shocked or scared?" I found it odd that he doesn't seem put off by the revelation of what I truly am.

"Why would I be?"

"Cause I'm a werewolf?"

"Well, at least I know that you can protect me". He snickered. I hit his arm playfully and he continued to feed me.

"What now?"

He shrugged. "Nothing changes"

I nod. "What's my role in everything?"

"Well, you are the newest addition to their family. Adriano wants to adopt you. That ought to work to our advantage"

"What? Adopt me? Why?"

"Well for starters: You helped us catch King. Secondly, you are a werewolf"

"But I'm an omega"

"What's that?"

I paused. I never thought I'd be explaining what an omega means to anyone. But won't this make him see me as less? "Um, an omega is the lowest in the werewolf rank"

"So? That means nothing here. A werewolf is a werewolf". He fed me another bite.

"But hold on. That would mean, I have to partake in those bloody rituals"

"Funny you mentioned that... they are planning on initiating you into their pack at the next full moon. I saw Mr. Beltran making plans for your first kill"

"No," I said in disbelief.

"Yep. And guess who they're gonna use"

"You?"

He shook his head. "No, certainly not. Maria"

"Never! I won't kill her, or anyone. When is the next full moon?"

"Tomorrow."

"Please help me, Peter. Help me get out of it"

"We need a big distraction that will make Mr. Beltran postpone the ritual, and I know just the thing". A storm of mischief brewed in the cloud of his eyes.

"What is that?"

"Be patient, baby"

"Baby?" Why do I feel butterflies all of a sudden?

"Yes, baby" He kissed my lips. Then took the plate away.

***

The next morning...

I got outside and saw Juan and the other men making arrangements for the luna llena. I couldn't find Maria but I knew where she must be.

I went down to the torture room. I peered through the bars at the upper part of the door, and saw her tied to a chair, looking hopeless and dejected.

"Marie"

She raised her head. "You shouldn't be here, Lanita. Go on upstairs before they see you"

"I won't abandon you. I won't let anything happen to you like it happened to Ava." 

She hiccuped. Seconds later, she started weeping. Her cries broke what was left in me. Gosh!

"Maria, I'm sorry if I made you feel worse."

She shook her head and sniffled. "You didn't do anything, Lanita. I know Ava caused you a lot of trouble... she framed you for theft that almost got you killed by miss Alma, but if you can find it in your heart to forgive her."

"I don't understand, Maria. Why are you interceding for her?"

"She- Ava is my daughter". She cried some more.

"What?! I didn't know that"

"Neither did she. The only reason I started working here was to get closer to her." She sniffled and continued: "I had her when I was thirteen. I was just a child, I couldn't raise another human being. So I gave her up for adoption. Years later, I traced her to the Beltran mansion and came here. I explained everything to Abuelita and she gave me the job. I was afraid to tell Ava who I am. And now, it's too late."

"I have a good feeling Ava knew"

She looked at me with hopeful eyes. "Really? Why do you say that?" 

"The way she always tried to be close to you. Remember that time she chose you to be her partner in that game?"

She chuckled. "Yeah, I was a terrible player"

"But she didn't care, she just wanted to play with you. She was a pretty smart girl, she certainly knew."

Maria nodded. "You're right, my smart little princess. Thank you, Lanita. It means a lot to me hearing you say this."

"I will not let anything happen to you. I promise. My mom is dead, I'd love to have you as my knee mom"

She cried silently and sniffled again. "I'd be honored."

"Bye for now". I returned upstairs.

To be honest, I don't know if Ava knew. But at that moment, Maria needed to hang on to every bit of hope, so I had to lie to make her a little happier. Forgive me for that.

"¡QUÉ CARAJO!"  Sir Adriano's voice shook the entire house.

I sprinted to the living room and saw him livid. He threw his phone on the ground, and brought out a gun from his pocket, and shot Juan in the head. Poor Juan dropped to the floor with his eyes open.

Abuela touched his arm. "¿Qué pasó, hijo?"

"My warehouse in Pennsylvania has been burned to the fucking ground!!! Alpha Richard and his stupid pack are to blame!!!"   Wait, Jace's dad?

"Calm down, mijo". Abuela rubbed his arm

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" He yanked his arm out of his mom's hold And turned to his men.  "Prepare for war against the Blue-moon pack!"