11. Wolf-Cakes

How was I going to leave the house? I had to come up with something fast.

I replied to the text: 'I can't just up and leave.'

A response came in almost instantaneously: 'Make up an excuse and meet Donny up the street'

I changed into a casual outfit and went to Abuela's bedroom. She was sitting in her chair with Alma, the bride-to-be. They were both looking through some wedding gown suggestions and giggling like teenagers.

Abuela looked up and saw me. "Ah, mi favorita, Cómo estás?"

"Buenos dias, Abuelita. I'm afraid not too good"  I answered with a sad face.

She grew worried. "What is the matter, estimado?"

"My friend is sick"

Her face fell. "Oh no... I'm sorry, my dear. How can I help?"

"With your permission, I would like to go visit her, I will be back the day after tomorrow"

"Oh. Then, Pablo will take you"

I shook my head. "Graçias, Abuelita but It's fine. I would like to take the train. It's been a long time since I used the subway"

Sad lines appeared on her forehead. "I will miss you, but come back soon"

"Muchas gracias, Abuelita" I kissed her cheek and made my way out of her room.

I got out through the gate and stepped onto the quiet street in my pink coat and black pants. The winter cold somehow made its way through the heavy fabric and into my skin.

I walked down the icy road until I saw a cab parked at a junction. I entered the cab and recognized the driver from my last ride to Malba. He didn't respond to my greeting but only drove away.

We came to a stop at a lonely lane in The Bronx. I got out and headed across the road to an abandoned warehouse. I stood in front of the locked door and whispered a single word: "Sanctuary"

As soon as I said the word, the door was unlocked from the inside and opened to reveal a hefty man. His bald head and curved mustache gave him a fearsome look. He had on a pair of dark shades, and his clothing comprised a checkered shirt worn over a white singlet, a pair of jeans, and black boots.

"Hi, Blaze"

"Hi, Wolf-Cakes." He greeted back.

Of course, I was given a nickname by the gang members. Wolf-Cakes was the best they could come up with because according to them, I had the eyes of a wolf, whatever that means. And of course, I like cake!

I stepped inside the space and was greeted by angry faces. All my friends in the gang were frowning at me. I looked further ahead and saw King sitting in his throne-like chair. Standing beside him were Mandate and Edna. I came to stand in front of him and showed my respect.

He watched me through hooded eyes. His icy blue orbs did not help make me feel any safer. "What have you been up to lately, Lana?"

"Uhm, nothing"

"Exactly." He got up and came closer to me. "You haven't been giving me any info for the past five months." He showed his five fingers to elaborate on his point.

"I have been gaining their trust-"

"I don't give a rat's ass about their trust, little girl! I expect turn-ups, and you're slacking!"

"..." I said nothing, only stared at him.

He stretched his hand and grabbed Edna by the hair. "I told you that if she fails, you fail!"

"Give her a chance, King, please. I know she can do it, she just has been scared."

"She is not going back there no more!" He forced Edna to face him. "You, on the other hand, owe me plenty"

"I'll do whatever you want, King. I'll give you my body." Her body was shaking in his grip.

He made a disgusted face. "There is nothing on you that I want anymore, so no thank you." He threw her on the concrete floor. He looked at me. "She, on the other hand-" He caressed my face. "She'll do just fine." A dark gleam appeared in his eyes as he ogled at my body with lust.

I moved back, away from his coarse touch. "No"

"Well, you don't have much of a choice, do you, love?"

"I'd rather die than let you lay your filthy hands on me!"

"Then so be it. Edna! Get rid of her, now!"

Without hesitation, she grabbed her gun and pointed it at my temple.

I shut my eyes and said a little prayer... This is the end for me... Memories of my parents flooded my mind as I looked into the cold eyes of death.

"FREEZE!! NYPD, Put your hands where I can see 'em!" An audible voice reverberated from the back door.

King snatched Edna's gun and started shooting at the cops. I got down on the floor to avoid getting hit by a bullet. At some point, it became a full-blown war between the gang and the police.

I didn't get to witness all of it because someone hit me on the head with something hard, and I passed out.

...Blank...

***

"I opened my eyes and noticed the handcuff around my wrist. I was sitting at a table. Wait, I've seen this in a movie before... This is a police interrogation room. The light bulb, the metal table, and chairs, the mirror on the wall that's probably not really a mirror, but a spying glass... this is exactly it!

The door opened and someone walked in.

Peter?

He took a seat across the table from me. There was not an inkling of playfulness in his demeanor, He seemed like he meant business.

"Lana." My name rolled off his tongue.

I didn't respond.

He clicked his tongue. "Silence won't help you here, this isn't a police station"

"Where is it then?" He placed a badge on the table.
I examined the badge.  "The FBI?"

He rested his back against the backrest. "I play my role as a corrupt police officer to Adriano Beltran, just as you play your role as a maid."  He leaned forward.  "Right, Wolf-cakes?"

My hands got sweaty as I looked into his eyes. This isn't some kind of game, he is dead serious! What the hell have I gotten myself into?! "What do you want from me?"

His eyes softened. "I am giving you two options and two options alone"

"And they are?"

"Work for me, or I deliver you into the hands of Adriano Beltran"