10. Stuck!

What's worse than dying for nothing, is dying for someone else's problems.
~EstherAshar

  Following the traumatizing incident, I practically ran down to the maid's quarters and began to pack my bags. I know I said earlier that I was ready to die, but after seeing how mercilessly Sir Adriano murdered Marco, I was having a hard time picturing myself at the receiving end of his gun.

I took off my uniform and wore a black t-shirt over a pair of jeans and brown boots. Then, I put the uniform in the washing machine.

I had just finished packing my things when I heard someone come in. I turned to see who it was. "Ava? What do you want now?"

She sauntered over to me. Her eyes held humor and playfulness. "You going somewhere, Nueva chica?" I knew I had to come up with a good reason to leave.

I stood up and faced her with my hands up in the air: "You caught me, I can't stay here anymore, not after what I just saw"

She cracked into a peel of thunderous laughter.  "I saw you earlier, you were almost pissing your panties."   She wiped off the buds of tears from the sides of her eyes from laughing so darn hard.

"Ha Ha, very funny. Laugh all you want"

She finally stopped her dumb cackling. "Okay, let me make things clear for you. But first, sit down,"     We both sat down on the bed.  "This isn't the first time I've seen Señor Adriano kill someone"

I scoffed. "No kidding"

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever. As much as I'd love to see you walk out that door and leave our lives for good, I have to warn you of the danger"

"What danger?"

"For starters, You have just witnessed the boss murder someone! Do you think any normal-thinking man will let a witness walk away without shutting her up?"  She's got a point
"Señor Adriano is one of the most influential people in the world. Don't you think he'd want to maintain that image? I was just like you once; naive, scared, not to mention stupid... I wanted to quit my job after I saw him kill-"   She paused, then continued.   "His men didn't even let me cross the gate. They gave me two options: Stay here or leave in a body bag. I made the smart choice of staying alive. Take it from me, nueva chica, don't leave, stay."

I was taken aback. "You care about me"

She scoffed. "Please. Ever since you threatened me about my secret relationship with Nico, I haven't stopped wondering what might happen if everyone found out about us. So, yes, maybe I want them to find out."  She shrugged.  "I don't care if you tell Abuela. I love Nico"

"Nico, huh?"

"You have no hold on me, Nueva chica. I ain't afraid of getting found out"

"Who said I was gonna rat on you?"

She looked confused. "You weren't?"

"Do I look foolish?  Oh, don't you worry, vieja. I have other plans for you".  I patted her shoulder. "Now, get out so I can unpack." 

She left me alone and I had some time to think. Maybe I shouldn't leave right now, it might draw suspicions. Besides, where will I run to? The gang is just as dangerous. Things are heated up right now, it isn't safe on either side of these walls. I just need to stay out of trouble for the time being.
Crap! I'm stuck.

***

FIVE MONTHS LATER

"...Te amo mucho, mi princesa. Felicidades!"

"Felicidades!"
We all raised our glasses as Sir Adriano finished his speech at his daughter's engagement party.

As you'd expect from such a 'prestigious' family, the guests were over Five hundred. The party was held at an event center in Long Island City, so you can imagine how expensive and shiny everything must've been. The guests consisted of politicians, celebrities, and powerful businessmen like Sir Adriano.

A mouse would not dare step foot on these floors. Even I felt out of place even though I was wearing a nice dress, not as expensive as theirs, but it looked great: A low-back, pink lace trumpet midi dress, paired with silver sandals. Abuela did say that the color pink suited me perfectly.
My hair was given a classic side-swept hairstyle by Ava, she also did my makeup. I never knew I could look this good. If only Jace could see me now, his jaw would drop. I reprimanded myself for thinking about him. It is a fact that the mating bond was no longer there, but it also made me realize that I did have genuine feelings for the guy. But he was too stupid and superficial to see it.

Someone whispered behind my ear. "You look stunning today, Lana."  I was startled by the masculine voice.

I faced him.  "You don't look so bad yourself, Peter."   And I meant every word of it. He had on a black Zegna suit that added that extra touch of mystery to his already mysterious persona. "I'm not the one getting engaged, Peter, why are you staring at me?"

He curled his thin lips into a smile.  "I don't tell you what to do with your eyes, don't tell me what to do with mine."

I chortled. "What are you, five?"

His lower lip protruded in a playful pout. "At least I did something right today." He shrugged.

I tilted my head to the side. "And what might that be?"

"I made you laugh."  After saying this, he walked away. 

What are you trying to do, Peter?

***

At the end of the party, we returned to the mansion, exhausted. My feet were killing me thanks to these freaking stilettos!

On the ride back, the other maids went on and on about how fun the event was. But I just couldn't stop thinking about Peter and his sudden interest in me.
I cannot deny the feeling I get when he is around... Anxious but happy; frightened but protected. I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't feel something for him, but I'd be a fool to act on it. At least not now.

After we arrived, I entered my room to change into my uniform. In the wee hours of the next morning, I recognized a text message on the phone. 

'Come to the HQ, NOW!!!'