Chapter 24 - Science projects

Aisha Keller POV

I ran to the right, narrowly avoiding the arrow that just got impaled into a tree. I need to keep moving but I can feel the exhaustion taking over, encouraging me to stop.

But I can't, if I stop I will be trapped for eternity.

As I'm running, a blast of magic coming from one of their little science projects slams me against the tree, throwing me off my feet and causing the bag that was over my shoulder to land a few feet away.

Shit.

I can feel the twigs and little rocks digging into my back and hands.

I have to get up.

I can't get captured.

Not by them.

Never by them.

With a groan I stand and am surrounded by about 5 people, there are probably more littered around the woods still searching for me.

They are all holding different weapons that are pointed at my face and ready to fire.

I start to search for a way out as they advance towards me, they know they can't kill me, but they can make it hurt like hell.

"Aisha, don't you think it's time to stop running?" The man with magic says as he uses his powers to force me back onto the ground, the power is so strong it causes the rocks to dig into my hands and neck, causing blood to fall.

"Don't you think it's time to stop being Hydra's little bitch?" I look at my bag as subtly as I could, but one of them saw and walked towards it.

They cannot know what is in that bag.

My fight or flight instincts kick in, problem is that flight isn't an option and neither is fight since they have powers that can snap my neck like a twig and being unconscious won't help anything.

I need to distract the woman who is about to pick up my bag with whatever I can.

The only solution I can come up with is to flick a tiny rock at her head.

She didn't appreciate my actions and used her powers to snap my arm in half, effectively breaking it and causing pain to shoot throughout my left side.

"Don't make this more difficult than it already is and you will save yourself from agonising pain." The one holding me down with magic says he's probably the leader.

"If you think I'm not used to agonising pain then you know absolutely nothing about me." A little laugh escapes as I talk.

"Suit yourself." He says with a shrug and looks to his companions with a nod.

Next thing I know, pain everywhere.

I stop myself from screaming by biting my lip so hard it bled.

It feels like every bone in my body is breaking like every nerve is being set on fire, and like every muscle is being split open.

The leader stops holding me down and I roll onto my stomach and try to drag myself away.

"Step away from her. Now!" The pain stops when she appears, allowing me to take a breath.

"I advise you all to leave before this gets ugly." I roll onto my back again to sit up, none of them move, too focused on staring at the scars on her hairless head.