Chapter 35 - Child of the devil

Amara Cassidy POV

The sun shines down bright today, soaking us in her warmth. Sadly, despite the beautiful day I am in distress.

"Speak!" Kate demands.

"I-" I have no words on how to convince her I am not the child of the devil, she saw too much.

"The infection should have taken your life, Amara." She states, her hands gripping the wool skirt and raising it slightly in preparation to run, "Now the wound is gone and clear of disease."

"Allow me to explain." I offer.

"No need, I understand perfectly. You are a witch." Her voice is full of accusation.

"Please just allow me to explain what you saw." She reluctantly nods, curiosity taking over her mind.

"I am thousands of years old, not once have I aged. But I am no witch, nature rewarded me with this gift because I am good." I am lying, I don't know why I have this curse but people won't be as scared if they learn the reason behind it.

"You are lying."

"I am not."

"You are a witch and you must burn for your crimes!"

She turns and runs forcing me to follow, I cannot let her reach the village, they will do unspeakable things to me.

"Please stop!"

My long braid flaps behind me in the wind, my body wants me to stop and rest since the bodice around my chest is making it hard to let breath come naturally.

Kate does not slow her running but I am catching up, I push myself to lunge at her and manage to make her fall to the ground.

"Let me talk." I beg after sitting on her stomach to stop her attempts at escape. "I will not hurt you."

"Help! Witch!" She screams loudly and I pray we are far enough from the village that no one hear her pleas.

But my prayers have never been answered.

"Get away from her, witch!" The husband belonging to the girl below me has caught the attention of others.

A group of men race towards me with weapons in hand, I have no choice but to abandon my home and flee.

I retreat back into the woods and hope the trees will offer me cover from their unholy plans for my fate.

Their sheepskin cloaks and blades cause them to be slower than me, but my energy is wearing thin.

There is a hollowed tree not far that only I know of, perhaps it will grant me safety till my ability to run returns.

I raise my skirt up to my knees to help myself gain more speed but the men are right on my heels and they continue to scream at me, calling me the names of various evil creatures.

I take none of the names to heart, they do not know the real me. All they see is a person more powerful than them, and it terrifies them so they seek to destroy it.

Before I can even get sight of the tree I am tackled to the ground, my hands bleed from the impact of landing on sharp stones and twigs.

"Please! I have done no wrong!" I can't stop myself from weeping at what is to come.

"You are a liar. We will send you back to the devil."

Andrea POV

I blink from the sudden memory that came to mind, that was a particularly painful time in my life.