Part 6

Lyla had managed to survive the entire day around Mattia Binotto.

It was pretty much the only highlight of the day for the Ferrari team. Once again, they had an awful qualifying which pretty much reflected the first race of the season, pre-season testing and the entirety of the year before.

The minute they were free to go Charles and Carlos had stormed away. Lyla was left to wander around trying to find her brother and Pierre until she eventually got a lift back to the hotel with Lando and Daniel who started laughing when they heard that Charles and Carlos had forgotten her in their rage. Lyla had sent many messages to both of them and had only received a reply from Carlos which was a string of swearing and apologies. She couldn't help but bite down on her bottom lip as she saw that her spam of messages to Charles had gone unread and the minute she was free to get out of the car she rushed into the hotel, heading straight for her best friends hotel room.

"Charles," She knocks against the wooden door. "Open up."

She heard shuffling, followed by the door opening slightly which allowed Lyla to slip through the gap. She immediately abandoned her things on the floor, letting the door swing shut as she moved to embrace the seething driver who stood before her.

Charles was hesitant but he eventually gave into her hug and wrapped his arms around her torso, burying his head away into her shoulder. Lyla could feel him shaking – she didn't know if it was rage or just pent-up emotions finally breaking free but either way she moved to the bed and sat down, pulling Charles with her.

"You're okay," She whispers, rubbing his back. "I got you."

"I fucking hate them." Charles mutters, voice muffled by her shoulder.

"I know." Lyla returns the quietness as she spoke. "You can't bottle it up though, Charlie. It'll kill you."

He let out a sigh, adjusting how he was leant against her so that he could hear her heartbeat. Lyla took his hand in hers when she noticed how he had it clenched in a fist so tightly that his knuckles were white. His eyes travelled down and the minute her skin came into contact with his, he loosened his hand and allowed her to pull his fingers away from his palm and link his fingers through hers instead.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep this up." He admits.

"Keep what up?" Lyla asks, already knowing the answer.

"This act," Charles gestures with his free hand. "That everything is fine."

Lyla sighed sadly, eyes glancing down to his face before she used her free hand to push his hair back from his forehead. He leant his head into her hand as she did so, Lyla dropping her cheek to rest on the top of his head.

"You shouldn't have to hold up an act." Lyla sighs.

She tightened her grip on him when she heard him sniffle and within seconds she had moved to encase him completely as his flood gates finally burst open after months of being forced to stay shut. Charles moves his entire body closer to her, breaking the contact of their hands to wrap both of his around her torso again, body shaking as he cried. Lyla's own heart broke in two as she held him. Not knowing what to do or say as she comforted him, whispering soft Italian and French words into his ear.

She had no idea how long they were stuck in that position but eventually, he stopped crying and lifted his head. Lyla pursed her lips at his bloodshot eyes and tear-stained cheeks, putting one hand on his cheek and using the thumb of her other hand to wipe his tears which earnt her a chuckle.

"What would I do without you, Deliah?" Charles mutters.

"You'd probably be dead in a ditch or something." Lyla smirks, replying.