The visitors - Part II

"Bhabhi, I must say you have cooked really good food You are a lucky man Saheer.", Varun who was happily munching on Biryani, practically inhaling it, commented.

(bhabhi - sister-in-law or a term used to denote a friend's wife)

"Varun bhai, I mean, I know I am a good cook, but the Biryani you are eating, the credit for it all goes to Saheer. He's an excellent cook.", Veera proudly stated. Saheer smiled at her.

(bhai - brother, or a term used to denote an elder friend/acquaintance)

(Biryani - It is made with Indian spices, rice, and usually some type of meat, or in some cases without any meat, and sometimes, in addition, eggs and potatoes)

"Waah (wow), its been four years that we are working together Saheer and you never bothered to feed us, did you?", Nisha playfully questioned.

"You never asked.", Saheer shrugged nonchalantly.

"If we are speaking about Saheer being lucky, I must say that's the truth in some more matters too.", Ravi made a comment in a rather snide tone. Avni stiffened at that tone, because she very well knew something crude and disrespectful was coming up from his side.

Just as she was about to interject to divert the topic, Saheer asked Ravi not able to comprehend the direction of his thoughts.

"Batao (tell) Ravi, why do you say so?"

Now having the ball in his court, Ravi smiled - it was more of a vicious smile.

"Look at you Saheer, you are what thirty-five and look at bhabhi, she's not more than twenty-five. You have a young bride. Tumhare toh maze hai bhai.", he completed his statement glancing towards Veera with a gaze which made her really uncomfortable and shift subconsciously towards Saheer's chair. He then started chortling loudly as though he had cracked a joke.

(a lot of fun for you man - this is a snide and crude remark)

Seeing no one responding to his pathetic excuse of a joke, but rather sensing a tense atmosphere, he said, "Why are you looking at me like that? Its a joke guys.", now with an awkward smile.

Avni was thoroughly embarrassed by her husband's behavior, but this wasn't something new for her. How she wished to leave this monster, who was not only verbally and emotionally abusive, but did not think twice before laying a hand on her in the privacy of their home. It was just because of their kid, Vihaan that she kept mum.

On the other hand, on hearing those words, Saheer was fuming. He had known Ravi since 4 years when he had joined the company, but he never knew he would have such rotten thoughts.

"Ravi, control your words and your thoughts. This is my home and I would never tolerate such remarks about my wife or for that matter of fact, any woman.", he stated in a calm voice, but all could feel the fury his words beheld underneath.

Ravi felt insulted. After all, he was the CMO of their company, and he did not like being insulted by someone inferior in ranks.

"Don't be rude to me Saheer. I am your senior, or have you forgotten that?", he started.

"You are my senior just in the company, and if you are so keen towards gaining the respect as a senior, then learn to earn it.", Saheer retorted.

Veera placed her palm on Saheer's hand now. On one hand, she was disgusted with Ravi's words and his gaze, but on the other hand, she felt a surreal warmth within seeing Saheer stand up for her. It feels really good to see someone care for you, protect you and she was grateful for having Saheer do so for her.

"He's your senior Saheer. What if he interferes in your work or troubles you because of all of this?", she whispered in his ears. She did not want Saheer to get into trouble because of her.