Her people

"Veera yaar, hurry up! You will be late for your meeting, and the upma's getting really cold. Even Ovi's halfway through her breakfast.", an exasperated Saheer called out for his wife for the tenth time, literally.

(upma - Upma is typically made by first lightly dry roasting semolina (called rava or sooji in India). The semolina is then taken off the fire and kept aside while spices, lentils, onion, ginger, etc are sautéed in oil or ghee.)

Veera had a meeting with one of her clients today. This would be the first time she would be meeting a client of hers face-to-face. Initially she was reluctant, but considering the bigger opportunity this meeting could bring in, a two year contract with that company with an increased pay, Saheer convinced her to attend the meeting.

"Saheer, I want to look perfect for this interview, not like an awkward penguin of a hacker.", Veera scowled as she stepped into the dining space.

"How do I look?", she asked nervously, bouncing on her feet and fidgeting with her fingers. She was dressed in a white chikankari kurta with white leggings and a dupatta. Appropriately formal for the meeting and also suiting her comfort.

 Appropriately formal for the meeting and also suiting her comfort

(this is not Veera, just her attire for a reference. Ignore the jewelry worn here. The image belongs to the rightful owner)

"As gorgeous as you always do.", Saheer replied with such a sincerity that Veera could not help but blush at his words and his gaze locked onto her.

"VF", Ovi called out with a mouth full of upma.

"Beautiful.", she beamed at her. Veera returned her smile.

Approaching her, Saheer pecked her forehead gently. This had become a new ritual between them ever since they had decided to give their relationship a chance. Earlier Saheer would greet just Ovi with a forehead kiss at the dining table, but now Veera too was a recipient of his affection and she could not be more glad.

Saheer filled her plate and sat alongside her, the three of them eating their breakfast. Saheer saw Veera's leg shaking while she was playing with her food, provided that she did not have much of an appetite today, all thanks to her nervousness. He firmly placed his palm on her knee and giving her a warm smile, an assuring one, gestured her to eat.

Veera visibly calmed down after that.

After receiving thousands of 'All the bests' and 'Best of lucks' and 'You can do it' from her Saheer and Ovi, Veera set out for the meeting. Yes, she was nervous and anxious, but she knew she would do it. She was confident in her skills and in the belief her two favourite people had in her.

It was an arduous meeting, or more like an interview. Veera had to face a panel of seasoned industry experts who demanded nothing short of perfection. Their initial skepticism of hers incapable of being a full-time asset to the company as compared to the earlier part-time one was completely erased as they firsthand noticed Veera's skills. She knew the matter at hand and she knew what had to be done, combined with her passion for this work.