Hurt

"What? But how did this happen?", Saheer asked in an agitated tone.

He had received a call from Ovi's class teacher when he and Veera were working together in his room. After Saheer's suggestion, Veera had taken to work in his room since the wifi range was stronger here and it felt comfortable working alongside Saheer, not that she would accept this reason easily.

Veera was glancing at Saheer, concern evident in her eyes at his disturbed tone. It seemed that something unpleasant had happened.

"Veera, I need to go to Ovi's school immediately. She's gotten into trouble.", Saheer hurriedly said as he cut the call.

"What happened Saheer? Is Ovi fine? Please tell me she's not hurt."

Saheer's heart melted seeing the genuine concern and affection Veera had for his princess.

"She's not hurt, but something's the issue. And her teacher is not telling me over the call. So I will just go and see what's the matter."

"Alright, just give me a moment. I need to take my phone and we will leave.", Veera got on her feet.

"Veera, you stay here. One of us needs to be at home. We have also not prepared the lunch. Can you please do it? Like, prepare something which Ovi likes so that we can cheer her up, hmm?", Saheer suggested. Actually the chief reason behind him not taking Veera was that she was not Ovi's official guardian and presently he was not really keen on explaining things to anyone. He just needed to have his princess safe.

"Alright, come soon and come safe.", Veera said with a warm smile which Saheer reciprocated and left.

Veera had just been done preparing kheer-puri which she knew Ovi liked, when the door bell rang. She opened the door to see a sulking and extremely upset Ovi with an equally upset Saheer.

(Kheer is a sweet dish and a type of wet pudding popular in the Indian subcontinent. Puri is a deep-fried bread made from unleavened whole-wheat flour that originated in the India subcontinent.)

'Now what's the matter with these two.', Veera thought as she could not make out their expressions and the reasons behind their sullen mood.

"What happened?", she questioned, both curiously and with concern.

"Ask Ovi what she did?", Saheer exclaimed.

Veera was startled hearing his hard tone and the fact that he called Ovi by her name which was in stark contrast to his usual 'princess' and 'sweetie'.

"But papa..", Ovi started with a whine.

"Not another word Ovi. That was so wrong and the thing is you do not even accept your mistake.", he scolded her.

Ovi's lips started wobbling and tears filled her eyes seeing her papa scold her.

"She slapped one of her classmates and pushed two others.", Saheer glanced towards Veera.

"But he was teasing me papa. And those three, they did not let me play with any toy. They took away the cars and said that I should play with dolls since I am a girl. I don't like dolls papa.", Ovi complained.

"You are not wrong there Ovi, but what was the need to hit people? Did I ever teach you this? You should have complained to your teacher. But no, you had to be stubborn and hit them.", Saheer firmly reprimanded her. Ovi now had tears running down her cheeks.

Veera felt her hurt and could not see her in tears. Also, Saheer's strict words and scolding was not helping her situation. Veera decided to intervene.

"Saheer, please don't scold her. Its a mistake, I know, but bacchi hai woh (she's a kid).", Veera tried to reason. Ovi too looked at her VF with a hope that she would save her from her papa's scolding.