A wonderful day

Veera was cooking dinner when Saheer stealthily walked into the kitchen and put his arms around her waist making Veera jump. When she sensed Saheer's comforting cologne, her now-favourite citrusy scent, she relaxed and swatted his bicep for scaring her. He simply chuckled and rested his chin on her head.

"You always do this Saheer. One day I am going to have a heart attack over this, just so you know.", she complained. However, she stayed as she was, not daring to turn and look at him. As it is, thanks to the way they were standing now, she was already blushing and she did not want Saheer to look at her flaming cheeks only to tease her more until she would resemble a tomato.

"I know you are blushing sweetheart. No need to hide.", Saheer whispered in her ear making her wiggle in his arms wanting to run away from there.

"Wh..Whaa...Who said that? Shut up Mr. Khanna.", Veera stuttered unable to frame a sentence and yet, she tried to be bold.

Saheer simply chuckled again and decided to ease the teasing for now. He did not want to trouble his shy wife more, at least not now.

"Whatcha makin' sweetheart?"

Veera was thankful for this change of topic.

"I am making creamy garlic mushroom pasta and for desert, gulab jamun.", she replied with a wide beam.

(Gulab jamun is a sweet confectionery or dessert, originating in the Indian subcontinent - check out the image above)

"What's the occasion today? Gulab jamun and all, hmm?", he asked still back hugging her, refusing to let go. After wiggling for a few minutes, even Veera had given up and continued with her tasks. She knew how stubborn her husband could be at times.

"For Ovi. She very cautiously and cleverly handled a dispute which had risen today while she was playing with the other kids in the park. After what had happened two weeks back, the way she behaved today, I am so proud of her. And this is my way for rewarding her.", Veera replied with a beam.

Two weeks had passed since that day when Saheer had reprimanded Ovi and since then she had been gradually doing well in handling situations, not that she had ever really misbehaved to that extent before. Yes, she was just a four year old but good manners instilled since childhood make a massive difference for a lifetime, and Saheer wanted to do that exactly. This time, he included Veera too onboard with him, not as Ovi's parent, but as the only responsible adult in Ovi's life, other than him. Veera was hesitant at first, still insecure about and scared of how this would work, but Saheer knew how to deal with his wife's insecurities with patience.

He had taken it on himself to explain how to deal with various situations to Veera when it came to the matters concerning Ovi. That would be a steady process and a long way to go. For now, he wanted to assure Veera that she's as much a part of his life, an important part and he was working on that.

"Its okay right, Saheer? Like this reward stuff?", Veera asked nervously. Letting go off your insecurities does not happen overnight and Veera was till working on it.

"Of course Veera.", Saheer assured her with a warm smile and a gentle peck to her forehead. No more words were needed now. Saheer's gestures were more than enough.

"And Saheer, make sure you do not eat much of these sweets.", she said, a mischievous expression now on her face. Saheer could not make out what she wanted to say and glanced towards her with furrowed eyebrows.

"Oh do not be confused dude.", she said causally, grinning internally when her words elicited a much-anticipated and very predictable scowl from her.

"You know, with your old age, you must eat less sweets. Kahi BP vagera na badh jaaye tumhara", she wiggled her eyebrows teasing him.