EFFORTLESSLY SWEET | K. TOBIO

TIMESKIP TOBIO KAGEYAMA X FEM!READER | FLUFF
thank you to anonymous for the request <33

a/n: just so things make sense, tobio and you are childhood best friends, tsukishima is your brother, kiyoko and tanaka aren't married yet

"tobi?" 

"yeah. i got one too."

the best friends stare at each other awkwardly through the phone, ripped open letters in their hands. you had rang tobio, it was a short-notice call; not like that's something out of the ordinary anyway. but it was 4 in the morning, the exact same thought swirling through your heads. 

it was wedding invite. a wedding invite to tanaka and kiyoko's wedding. and that's a positive thing! the two of you were incredibly happy for your ex-upperclassmen. the only issue being, attending with a date. and of course, going alone is no problem whatsoever.

..if you're still in your twenties. 

tobio is a 31 year old professional volleyball player who is schweiden adlers' official setter; he hasn't had any time for romance since his second year of high school. 

you're a 30 year old volleyball manager for schweiden adlers; romance has never come easy for you. 

everybody else you knew was either married or soon to be engaged. the two of you didn't even have a 'work in progress' relationship with anybody. it's simply too embarrassing to tell your old classmates who look up to you that you don't have a date. 

now, i know what you're thinking. who cares about pride? just say it's a work in progress. well, yes. that would be the easiest option. 

..if you hadn't lied about being engaged to one another two years ago. 

that's right. when you heard that yamaguchi and yachi were dating, kei having no interest in relationships for the time being; nobody had the balls to judge him for that, the both of you decided it would be for the better to confess to the entire old karasuno volleyball team, that you both were dating.

"are you going with anyone?"

you ask tobio, drinking a glass of water on the kitchen counter. "no? i haven't had a girlfriend since i was seventeen. what makes you think i'm going with anyone?" "goddamnit tobio why didn't we just say we were dating instead of saying we were engaged." "you're asking me?!" "i am asking you!"

"it'll be such a pain saying we decided not to get 'married' and all.." you groan and put your glass down. 

you shot up. "do you think ushijima would go with me?-" "absolutely not!" "..what about korai-" "no!" "what do you mean no?! all of them are single." you huff, leaning back against your cabinets. "i don't want them going with you.." tobio mumbles quietly as he re-reads the invite. "eh? why?" you lean closer to your laptop screen. 

his cheeks heat up, and he covers his lower face with his hand. "..let me go with you." 

"what?"

"let's go together. just.. as platonic dates?" 

"why?"

"what's with all the questions? we can just pretend we're not ready to marry yet."

"..okay."

"okay." tobio repeats, a slight weight lifted off of his shoulders.

"it's in a month. we need to go shopping." you propose.