LIFE WASTER | S. KOUSHI

KOUSHI SUGAWARA X FEM!READER | ANGST, FLUFF
a/n: thank you anonymous for the request <33
beware of slight manga spoilers if you squint

"later, suga!" 

the night is young, volleyball practice is over, and karasuno's regular trip to sakanoshita had been fulfilled. with most of the team already dispersed, it only left the third years walking back into their neighbourhood. but recently, koushi had been making more trips to the ocean. as his senior year passes, he finds solace in meditating. daichi and asahi know this, and let him off easy most nights. 

he waves with a wide smile, turning off the corner into the park which leads him to the coast. he exhales contentedly, slowing his pace when he feels the breeze pick up. he finds consolation in the salty aroma it spreads; he ascertains it to be a soothing feeling. 

he throws his head back, running a hand through his silver locks, peering up at the stars past the branches and leaves. they shine extra bright on fridays, he notes to himself. 

pushing the squeaking gate open, the crashing waves come into view, beneath the weak solar-powered street lamps. he drags himself to his usual spot just beneath the most stable lamp, leaning his head against the pole and letting his left foot dangle off of the side of the brick wall while his right knee is tucked into his chest.

he hums to himself, tucking his hands into his pockets once he feels them begin to freeze up, his fingertips a faint shade of cherry. 

"pretty, aren't they."

once his eyes wander, from the trees to the clouds to the moon to the stars, he notices the weak voice from beside him. it makes him flinch at first, ready to pack up his things and flee. but when he recognises the familiar face, he relaxes into his coat again. 

"yeah.."

as far as he's aware, koushi hasn't seen you in half a year. you were once in his class, top of his set (if he remembers correctly). but when your desk which was once next to his had been removed completely, he was neutral at first. perhaps you had been moved up a set; being moved down didn't seem possible. 

of course, he waited. decided to let fate do the work for him. but you never showed up to P.E that afternoon. or the next, or the next after. 

of course, he was confused. had you left the school? that seemed to be a pretty rational assumption. but why didn't it sit right? 

you've changed, he notes to himself. completely.

he's surprised he even recognised you in the first place.

he takes a small breath. "aren't you cold?"

there's no flesh to your bones, nor is there any glint to your irises. when he looks at you, in the first few seconds, all he sees is the idyllic girl from his class; the girl he used to stare at instead of the board; the girl he used to spend hours thinking and writing about anonymously for literary essays. but when he blinks, he sees the girl he's currently trying to neutralise his judgement about.

is he even thinking about the same girl?

"nah, not really." you place your half finished cigarette between your teeth, reaching into the pocket of your jeans for your lighter. "wind is damn annoying though." you flick the lighter a few times, lighting the cold bud once again, reaching down to rub at your arms. koushi's eyes flicker to your wrists, and then back up to your face.

he considers offering you his jacket, but then remembers how much his mother hates the smell of nicotine, and internally retracts the offer. "w-where have you been?" he tries not to cough at the horrible smell of your spliff, deciding to inconspicuously turn his face in the other direction, suddenly finding interest in the light house a kilometer away.