2: Smile and bear it

It was during breakfast the next day that the announcement was made to the rest of the family of your engagement. Claps sounded around the room, and you were forced to wear that pleasant smile on your face as congratulations sounded throughout the room.

"My daughter will be doing a great service to our family, and to the people in the fief," Naobito declared as he raised a glass for cheers. "This union will unite the great Zen'in and Gojo clans after years of war, and...rest her soul, Lady Zen'in Natsuko and I are proud to call our dear y/n my daughter."

Another round of claps sounded down the table, and Naoya scowled next to you. "Is there a problem, brother?" you asked as the sound drowned you out.

Proud to call me your son, huh?

"No. Shut up and eat." he spat, and you sighed before picking up your utensils again. Sneaking a look down to the end of the table, you caught a glimpse of Megumi and his father looking uneasy, Maki next to the older as they discussed something. You were sure you'd find out sooner or later what they were talking about, but instead you turned to face your father, who was smiling big and talking to the wedding planner next to him.

"Father, may I interrupt you?"

He looked to you once and smiled again. "What is it you need?"

"I was wondering if there were any details you could give me about my future husband?" To say you hadn't been wondering about him would be a great lie, and the feeling left you a little anxious.

Naobito set his chopsticks down and hummed in thought. "I have met him only once, and I will not lie to you, my dear...he is rude," your face fell, and he took notice as he continued, "rude and cocky and may I add, sleazy."

You were quiet as you took in this information...that the man you were going to marry...was like Naoya. The thought made you want to puke.

"He is older than you, about five or six years...I cannot remember. Finally decided to settle down and take family matters seriously," he barked out a laugh, "good luck, daughter. He will be a handful."

It was then that you realized that silence had settled around the table and everyone had heard what you were bound to marry. However at your family's silence, you kept your eyes trained on your oblivious father, who continued to sip his mimosa.

"Well, sister," Naoya chuckled, "you are going to want to hang yourself by the end of the first week." Awkward quietness was interrupted by a small voice behind you, and you looked over your shoulder to see your head lady-in-waiting by the name of Maeda Jun.

"y/n, are you alright?"

"I am fine, Jun, thank you." you smiled at her, and she walked off with a sour look on her face at the behavior of your family.

"Get ready to address her as Lady Gojo, Maeda!" Naoya laughed while she hid her scowl, and you simply ate your breakfast with that looming dread hanging over you. Looks of pity were sent your way, and you tried your damn hardest to ignore it and look elegant as normal, but it was hard when Maki and Megumi were staring at you to get your attention.

The next few days were not much better.

You had not gotten one reassuring detail about Gojo Satoru, so by Thursday evening, you were at a loss. Megumi divulged to you that he indeed was an annoyance having dealt with him many a time, and as you sat in the gardens with him, Maki, Mai, and Toji not that far off in front of the ponds, these were the only things making you feel better.

"I wish you all could come with me. I will be so alone." you mumbled, fingers gently threading through the grass.

"At least your lady is going with you, right?" Mai offered, "we can send you some letters."

"Letters will not compare to seeing your faces."

"How sweet," Maki quipped, "have you seen your wedding kimono yet?" you shook your head no, and her next question caught you insanely off guard. "Do you think you'll have sex on the first night?"

"Maki!"

"I am right here." Megumi scowled, but Maki obviously did not care.

"It is a valid question...you're supposed to carry his heir right away, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am," you frowned, "I just...ugh! This is so stupid." You grumbled. It really was sad, and after a moment your cousin Toji had wandered back to give you important advice.

"I was eighteen when I was exiled." He said with a teasing smile, making you scoff.

"How is that supposed to help me?"

"I dunno," he sat down beside Megumi as he looked at you, "things happen when you're young, and even greater things happen later on," he risked a look to Megumi, who was clearly embarrassed, "who knows, maybe you will grow to like that asshole."

"I doubt it."

"Hey, I met Megumi's mother and I hated her at first."

Megumi, in response, scowled.

"How could you possibly hate her?"

"Too nice. A lot like you."

--

Saturday morning, the day of your demise. The day you left the Zen'in estate for the foreseeable future.

You stood before the carriage, small bag full of playing cards and small puzzles hanging off your arm as you faced your father. "I'll see you tomorrow night. Be good until then."

"I will, father." you smiled, giving him a deep bow before he headed back inside the home. Naoya only gave you a once over before scoffing and following behind him.

"I will say my goodbyes when you are wed, woman."

You weren't surprised at all by him, and Megumi could tell when you faced him and smothered him in a hug without formalities. I don't want to go, is what you murmured, and he frowned when he felt you sigh deeply into his shoulder.

"We'll see you tomorrow, okay? Hopefully that gives you some peace of mind." He said, and you nodded as you released him and gave a small smile to his twin Toji standing behind him. When you looked at Maki and Mai, they did not hesitate to engulf you in hugs, two at one time.

"I hope you get drunk tomorrow night. You'll need it." Maki said when you pulled away from them, and you laughed at the notion.

"Not in front of our families, that is not an admirable first impression."

"To hell with impressions."

You smiled as you found an uncomfortable Jun behind you, linking arms when you both bowed one more time to all four of your closest family members to date. "I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow night."

"Us too, y/n!" Maki gave you a thumbs up, and they watched you step into the carriage with Ranta's assistance, followed by the fiery Jun to keep you company as your head lady. Jun, with her long, dark hair tied up in intricate hairstyles that always matched yours.

"What am I going to do, Jun?" you mumbled once the door shut and the horses began pulling.

"What you always do, y/n. Smile and bear it."

"How am I supposed to bear it when I'm just going to be a pawn in political schemes?"

"Be a damn good actress."