12: High-maintenance

"Wife?" Satoru asked with caution. You were currently curled up in a ball in the sunny gardens. The last few days, you had been more tired than Satoru's bed frame from all the recent activity, lying down and dozing off whenever you had the chance. On top of that, you had been a tad...irritable.

Itadori was forced to fetch Satoru anytime it happened, which was more times than he could count on one hand. "Is she ill?"

"I am not sure," he said as he crouched down, "Where are Maeda-san and Kugisaki?"

"Pressing this week's daytime attire."

"Then we must not interrupt...my wife," he cooed, pressing the back of his hand against your forehead just to make sure. "y/n, my dear, wake up, please." He was forced to gently shake you awake and, he hated to admit that he was the slightest bit concerned.

"How about we toss her in the pond?" Itadori suggested.

"She would have my head," Satoru snickered, "ah, there she is..." You blinked yourself awake, looking up at your husband's teasing smile with confusion...oh, you must have fallen asleep again. "I would much rather you rest in my chambers than in the open grounds, do you not know?"

"Apologies, husband." hiding a yawn behind your sleeve, Satoru scoffed and properly sat himself down beside you.

Take care of her. She will conceive better that way.

"No need for apologies, woman! I am only glad you are healthy still."

"Very healthy." you mumbled, laying down on your arm once more, eyes threatening to close.

"Did I not just order you to rest in my chambers?"

"Can you deliver me?" you asked with your eyes shut, a tinge of annoyance in your voice.

"Moody, are we?" Satoru chuckled, but you ignored him for a moment. With one glance up and an angered sigh, you stood yourself up and walked inside the tall, refined walls of the estate without a glance behind you. He called your name even so, yet you had your eyes glued to the estate's back doors.

"Interrupting me and calling me moody..." you grumbled as your getas clacked against the tile flooring.

"Oh! Lady Gojo!" a voice called, making you turn around and plaster a pleasant smile on your face.

"Yes, Miwa-chan?"

"Gojo-sama had asked earlier what you'd like for dinner."

"Hmmm," you trailed as you crossed your arms, "a big seafood platter," Miwa's eyes widened at your smirking face, wondering why you seemed so off this evening. "I am starving today."

"Oh, okay!" she said before bowing, "do you need assistance with anything, my Lady?"

"I am quite alright, thank you." You set your hand on her shoulder with a smile, watching her blush before it slipped off and you heard the familiar footsteps of your husband. You fixed him with a stare, him wearing one of his own as he stood in front of you.

"May we speak?" he asked quietly, you sighing dramatically. He was annoyed, you could see that much.

"I do not want to speak to you right now, husband."

"What have I done to displease you? Have I not given you everything you have asked for?" At his words, Miwa scurried away with the other workers outside of the foyer.

"You have done nothing to displease me," you set your hands upon your belly with your nose in the air, "I simply want to be left alone."

"Three weeks we have been married, wife. What has happened so suddenly?"

"Nothing!" you huffed, turning and walking away again, "I wish for solitude, Satoru."

"Wife-"

"Leave me, Gojo-sama." you snapped.

Satoru, who was now beyond pissed, was left dumbfounded at your words. No woman spoke to him like that, let alone left him feeling this way.

You did not join your husband for dinner, leaving the cooks and workers wondering what all the drama was about. Were you a witch all along? Was Satoru displeasing you? Did he want someone else? All of these were rumors spreading around the estate while your husband helped himself to your share of crab legs alone because, if you did not eat with him you did not eat at all.

"She is asking for you."

"Oh, is she really?" he laughed at Itadori, who honestly was not fond of being stuck in the middle. "Zen'in woman finally wants to see her lawful husband."

"Sensei, that is not kind."

"She has been unkind to me for days."

The boy was quiet at that fact, before offering, "she is in a good mood now."

I do not want word of mistreatment to reach the Zen'in house.

Damn...must I go see that woman?

"Hmph," he threw his napkin down and stood up, "I shall return shortly." Brushing past the boy, Satoru breezed down the corridors of the estate before seeing your lady close the door of his chambers quietly. He dipped his head down as he walked up, but she held her hands out for him to stop. Biting back harsh words, he gave Jun a questioning look.

"There is a chance it is all because of hormones," she said quietly, "a chance of pregnancy." She whispered the last part, the dreaded word that marked motherhood.

It was then that Satoru put the pieces together. Of course it was because of hormones. You would never be so rude otherwise. He laughed at his foolishness before clapping Jun on the shoulder. She was surprised by this, of course, giving him a weird look and walking away with a little grimace.

"Just be kind."

"I am a kind man, am I not?"

She looked him up and down, shrugged, and walked away, leaving him a little offended. And yet, he smiled once he walked into his chambers. You were sitting on the edge of the bed, elbows on your knees with a despondent look on your face, and Satoru just had to give you that warmth-inducing smile.

Your eyes widened and you stood up, wading towards him with your kimono flowing behind you, "I am sorry for the way I have treated you," You said, deep frown on your face, but he had already forgiven you. "Jun has...for lack of better words, called me a bitch."

"Just being high maintenance, my dear."

Satoru stepped in front of you and held your hands gently in his own, noting your saddened look of guilt. "I am sorry, my husband. You did not deserve that." You reiterated to him, but he shook his head dismissively.

"You are absolutely right! I did not deserve anything of the sort," He looked down at you, and you looked up at him. Satoru was smiling. Although you felt guilty, you smiled back at him. Softly, as if you had just met him for the first time and Satoru, who noticed the subtle glow about you now, was finding it hard to stay mad at you. "Are you interested in eating with me now?"

"Yes!"