28: Tank!

"Zen'in supporters! Upon the estate!"

Her words resonated in your mind like the ring of a bell. The estate was being seized as you spoke. Was your father behind this? Your brother? Cousins? Surely not, this could only be the work of a Zen'in uproar, caused by misinformation and scandals. But--

"Where is Itadori-kun?" your husband asked.

"He is alongside Master Gojo and Geto-sama."

"Good. I must go," Satoru said from behind you. His arms were turning you back around so he could press one last kiss onto your anxious mouth. "I shall make quick work of this, my wife, you need not worry."

"You will come back safely to me?"

"I'm the strongest, after all," he shrugged, "you keep the ladies inside your chambers. I will be back shortly." With that, he walked off through the throngs of the crowd making their way toward the bedchamber. The first attack in your life, and you were responsible for saving face and keeping all these people calm and welcomed as the men protected you all.

A deep breath.

You wasted no time in corralling every woman running down the hallway into your chambers. The safest room in the home. "Everyone in, go on." you told them, ignoring the quick bows and crying children. Your bedroom was like a labyrinth in the middle of the estate, full of turns and winding hallways and location only easy to find to those that live or work here. You waited until the last child pattered his feet toward you and after that, it was silence save for the grunts and clashes of metal and battle echoing down the way.

You swept the small, shuddering boy in your arms and held him close, waiting just another moment for a sign of another refugee coming your way. Fortunately, it seemed that he was the last as you waded into the room full of sitting workers and stressed out mothers.

"Barricade the door," you muttered, and in a flash, people were helping to move the dresser and various other furniture items in front of said door. The child gripped your yukata and shook in your hold, while you could only rubbed his back and set your cheek against his head, your gaze moving from around the room to the little boy in your arms. "What is your name, my darling?"

He did not answer at first, only staring at you with wide brown eyes and tear stained cheeks. "Mako--" he sucked in a breath, "Makoto."

"Alright, Makoto," you spoke quietly as you wandered about the room. It was currently full of people clamoring around and trying to search. Mothers pacing around, workers in a daze while they spoke of the dramatics. Children climbing around and trying to hide behind anything in sight. You could make out Jun and Nobara among them, trying to settle everyone down. "Do you see your okaa-san anywhere?"

He rose up suddenly, twisting around in an attempt to search in a frenzy. Makoto found her then and pointed roughly, you noticing her walking about and asking those around if they had seen him. "That's her! Okaa-san!"

She spun around as if the gods themselves called her name, sighing in relief and rushing over to where you stood. "Mako! Oh, my Lady--" You met her halfway and set the little boy in her hands with the small shake of your head. "I thank you for your grace." Makoto, with his arms circled around her neck, let out a sound of relief. She set her wrinkled hands upon your folded ones and offered a knowing smile.

"Oh, do not thank me--"

"And I offer you every blessing possible on your journey into motherhood."

You smiled then with the slight dip of your head before she walked away to get Makoto situated with the other children, and once you were left standing in the middle of the room with clamors settling into whispers, you looked at Jun with an apology written all over your face. Her own smile was soft, shaking her head slightly and sitting down next to Nobara.