11: Scorned child

content warning: father hurts daughter both physically and mentally

-

You were ten when you started attending social events.

You were a rambunctious child, running around with the other young and noble born kids. You remembered one event you attended, Tengen-sama's yearly gathering for blessings of fertility and good harvest in early July, where you spent all of your time outside digging in the dirt with one small boy the age of twelve and his sister of nine. Haru and Hanako from the Sasaki clan, you three escaped from the political heat swarming the adults and instead found refuge in digging holes and upturning bricks, as kids do.

The years passed, and that bond only seemed to strengthen. When you were thirteen, Hanako twelve, and Haru fifteen, you still made it a mission to escape the parties and be back before the adults noticed.

"Ugh, look at this guy," Haru said, holding up a long, black centipede, "he's huge."

"Stop, Haru, put it down." Hanako said, swatting her little hands on his arm.

"He's gross!" You whined, making the boy scoff as he set the bug down. Black hair covered his face, the tinge of a blush and freckles dotting his pointed nose, and dirt was caked on his little fingers. You may have found yourself having a small crush on him, granted...you only saw him once a year at the gatherings.

"Say, y/n?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you like anyone?"

"I dunno..." you mumbled, like a liar, "do you?"

"Yeah. And I know someone that likes you."

"Who!?" you gasped.

"Toshi does," he chuckled, "he told me today."

You smiled to yourself, looking down at the dirt with a little shrug. "Toshi-kun is nice." You felt flattered. Attention from boys was something that always embarrassed you.

"Do you like him too?"

"No!"

"Ira likes you, oni-chan," Hanako laughed while Haru shoved her away. "Hey!"

"You like Ira-chan?" you gasped.

"I don't like Ira!" he boldly claimed, "she never shuts up!" Haru was red faced, acting defiant in the face of you, who had no idea of his embarrassment. Even so, you smiled and turned to Hanako with a small shrug.

"Do you happen to know who Haru-kun likes?"

"Um, yeah!" she grinned.

"Shut up, Hanako!"

"Can't tell." the girl reported, and then your attentions were stolen by Haru holding up a huge beetle.

"Oh! Look at this one!"

And so with dirt under your fingernails and a dopey grin on your face after he showed you another small bug, you dug around with Haru and Hanako of the Sasaki family without a care in that thirteen year old brain of yours. It wasn't until you heard your name being called that worry was scrawled across your face and Haru showed his concern.

"What's wrong?"

"My brother is coming," you mumbled, "I'm g'na get in trouble." You said, voice rising and throat constricting with dread. It seemed that you all were gone for way too long this time.

"No!" Hanako cried, "Tengen-sama is going to execute us!"

"Hanako," he set his hands on his trembling sister's shoulders, "nobody is getting executed, and we are not gonna get in trouble." Haru said, standing up from the dirt when Naoya rounded the corner of the bush. He looked at you and the two kids, kimonos dirty and two bricks out from their path, he grimaced when he saw the dirt marking your cheeks.