Chapter 4

Hobie's apartment was on the fifth floor of a tall dilapidated building.
It was a three-room apartment: a kitchen, a bedroom and a bathroom.
The kitchen was furnished with a table, the leg of which had been replaced by a pile of books, then three wooden chairs and two pouf chairs, a kitchen counter that looked had seen them all, with some dirty plates and cutlery in the sink, a black fridge, with pins on it like they were magnets and a red crumpled couch with some cushions on it.
On the walls there were many posters, naturally, of bands.
y/n recognised only a few like the Pistols', the Ramones' and the Clash's ones, while the others were unknown to her.
-Welcome into the spider's lair. Get comfortable.- Hobie said, throwing the keys on the table and throwing himself on the sofa.
Gwen and Miles sat on the poufs, making themselves home.
-You sure I'm not a bother to you?- y/n asked as they stepped in and looked around at the whole place, amazed by the vibes it gave.
-Mhmh, totally.- he dryly responded, throwing his head back, looking up at the ceiling.
y/n couldn't do anything but stare at him.
In her opinion he was one of the most pretty guy she had ever seen.
Even if they had just met, something seemed off, but she wouldn't put her hand on the fire about why she felt like this.
From his part, Hobie had been quite discreet at looking at her, without making eye contact so she didn't notice it.
-Alright.- she mumbled in response, feeling her cheeks rise up a bit.
It had been a while since she had hung out with someone and it appeared that she had forgotten how to socialize.
Luckily for her Gwen and Miles were helping her to feel a little more at home.
-Gwen, why don't you show her the other rooms?- Hobie asked, taking off his denim vest.
-It's your apartment. Why don't you show her?- Gwen replied, emphasize the 'you' -Me and Miles are quickly going to get Starbucks. Want something?- she asked the other two.
-No, thanks Gwen.- y/n replied, with a smile.
While Hobie just shook his head and started playing his guitar.
-We'll go, then. See you in a bit.- Gwen said, as she and Miles put their masks back on and approached the window.
As Hobie saw them by the window and understood that they weren't kidding, that Gwen was actually being serious, he started to worry.
-Jessica entrusted her to you, not me.- he started saying -Just because I'm helping doesn't mean that...that I have to spider-sitter her.- he said, standing up, but immediately regretted his choice of words as he saw her expression and a knot sudden made almost impossible for him to talk -I didn't mean...- he tried to speak, but babbled out before she interrupted him.
-It's okay. don't worry.- y/n said nodding, trying to play it cool, even if it had hurt a bit -I can come with you two, so you can show me around a bit.- she proposed, turning to the two teenagers.
-You can totally come with us, yeah.- Miles smiled, as Gwen glared at the anarchist pretty badly.
y/n put her mask on and approached them, ready to get out of that apartment as soon as she could.
She couldn't handle staying in there for more time.
y/n knew she wasn't the best among the Spider-Persons but neither was she the worst.
So why had Hobie to treat her like this?
-Miles, y/n.- the blonde called their attention -You two can start to go. I have to take care about a little thing before.-
-We'll wait for you in front of the city hall.- the guy proposed -Does that sounds good?-
-Mhmh, yeah.- Gwen nodded -It won't take long. Just a couple of minutes.-
-See you in a bit then.- y/n, nodded as she and Miles swung out of the window.
Gwen waited until she was sure that they had been out of her sight to start talking.
-The hell was wrong with you, Hobie?- she asked, with a mix of anger and disappointment -What was that about?-
She couldn't understand why he had done that.
All Gwen knew was that this wasn't the Hobie she had known for more than two, three years now.
-I dunno. I just...- he replied shrugging and looking away -I guess it just slipped, alright? I didn't mean it.- he tried to act like he didn't care about what had happened.
Hobie felt bad about remembering y/n's face as the words that had hurt her come out of his mouth.
-Why did you do it?- she asked, with a much softer tone, trying to get him to talk a bit -Hobie, you're always open to make new friends and help. Why today was different?- seeing that he didn't reply she sighed -You know you can talk to me about everything, right?-
Hobie looked up at her and their eyes met.
She could see something wasn't right, but she couldn't help him if he didn't talk to her.
-I know, I know...- Hobie replied, for a second he thought about that option but then decided not to -But there's nothing to talk about.-
Gwen sighed loudly, before nodding slightly as she realized she couldn't do nothing but wait when her friend was ready to talk.
-Alright, alright. You don't need to be like this tho.- Gwen said putting her mask on -Little advice, you should apologize to y/n. She's already having her problems.-
He knew that. Fucking hell if he knew that.
-I'll think about it, okay? I don't believe in promises, you know that.- he said as he sat again on the pouf and continued playing the guitar.
-I know.- Gwen replied approaching the window -I'm just trying to help her. She lost her best friend, just like I lost mine and...y'know what? Just forget it. See you later.-
Hobie looked at her swinging away just like the other two had done before.
He couldn't help but feel bad.
Hobie was being a bad friend and he hated that.