Chapter 20

Hobie kept cursing against Miguel since that morning. 
Why did he ask y/n if she wanted to go on a mission?
Alone, and as if that wasn't enough, in a universe she didn't know. 
And why the hell had she agreed? 
Hobie walked back and forth for the umpteenth time in his living room. 
"The mission must have ended a while ago so why isn't she home yet?" he asked himself, fidgeting with his bracelets. 
Anxiety and worry were eating him alive. 
What if something had gone wrong? 
Suddenly a portal opened in front of him. 
y/n walked out of it, taking off her mask, revealing some bruises and a bleeding nose. 
Hobie rushed over her and hugged her. 
-I was worried. Are you okay?- he asked, as they broke the hug and he looked at her from head to toe. 
-I'm okay, I'm okay.- y/n replied, trying to give him a convincing smile -Careful, I'm bleeding. You might get dirty.- 
-Who cares?- Hobie replied, taking her face in his hands and looking at her -Oh, god. Are you sure, are you okay, darling?- 
-Yes, Hobs.- she replied, but a grimace betrayed her. 
Only after a look did he notice that y/n was keeping a hand on her side. 
-Sit down and let me see that wound.- he said immediately, trying not to panic as he went to pick the first aid kit. 
-No, thanks. I'll do it myself.- y/n replied, as a  slight blush creeped on her cheeks -I have the suit on. I'll have to stay just with my bra on to let you treat that injury.- she made him notice. 
-y/n, darling, take that hand away so I can see if you can do it alone or you need help.- Hobie replied, trying to play it cool -Not that I would mind seeing you in your bra.- he tried to make it sound like a joke. 
-You creep.- y/n giggled, then an expression of pain appeared on her face, as she tried to hide it. 
Hobie went his way back to y/n with the kit in his hands, as he sat next to her, she took her hand away from the wound, allowing him to see it. 
As Hobie saw the wound his eyes immediately darted from the wound to her face and vice versa. 
The wound was, to his eyes, seven to ten centimeters at least. 
-Darling, this is bad. If not treated well, this can make a bad infection.- he said, worried -Would you let me treat it? Please.- 
-It's fine, Hobie. It's nothing too serious, really.- she tried to reassure him and herself that would be an easy thing -It's not the first wound I treat.- y/n said, taking some gause and started cleaning the blood -And you know that.- 
-y/n, dear, I know you can do it. But you are injured, can't you just accept some help?- Hobie said, raising his voice a little without even noticing. 
y/n thought about it for a moment. 
She looked down at her hands, which were trembling and covered in blood. 
There was no way that she could have been able to stitch that up alone. 
-Alright...- she lowered her gaze -Just be quick, please. The adrenaline is going away and I'm starting to feel the pain.- 
-I'll do the best I can.- he smiled, trying to reassure her -Now please, sit on the couch and take off the upper part of the suit. 
y/n did as she was told, remaining with a simple black sports bra. 
The wound now was even more visible, so she had to throw her head back not to look at it. 
Hobie, after a first moment of stupor, pulled himself together and tried to remain as focused as he could.
-Never thought you'd see me in my bra in a situation like this.- she said, trying to fill the silence, as he started to stitch her wound. 
-So you've been fantasizing, huh?- Hobie immediately replied, trying to keep up the humor. 
-That's not what I meant, Hobs.- she complained, trying not to smile. 
-Yeah, sure thing, darling. Let's pretend I believe you.- he quickly winked at her, then continued focusing on the injury. 
As Hobie carefully stitched her wound, y/n tried not to complain about the pain, but he could feel her twitching under his finger. 
He hated to be the one who was sewing her, but at the same time he wouldn't have trusted no one in doing that in his place. 
-Done?- y/n asked after a while. 
-Last one, darling. Take a deep breath.- he said as he passed the needle in her skin for the last time and quickly tied it -All done.- he gave her a small stroke on the cheek, where a small bruise was. 
-Thanks, Hobs.- y/n thanked him, looking up at him. 
He disappeared in the kitchen for a moment then came back with some food and a wet towel, so she could clean her hands. 
-No need to thank me. I'm gonna take a shirt so you can cover up, alright?- he informed her -And while I'm gone try to eat something, will you?- 
-Yes, mum.- she jokingly rolled her eyes at him, as he left the room. 
After a couple moments, Hobie came back with a shirt and helped y/n to put it on, despite she kept saying that she didn't need any help. 
Then when he asked about the mission and she started to tell him what had happened, Hobie wasn't too happy about it. 
-And then, I realized that maybe I couldn't do it alone, but of course I couldn't call Miguel asking for help. Not on the first mission he give.- y/n said. 
-You could have called Jessica, or Gwen. Even me, y/n. Why didn't you?- Hobie's tone was now worried and offended, maybe evn a bit mad. 
-I didn't need help. I did won in the end.- she responded, tilting her head a bit -I don't understand why you're getting all worked up over nothing.- 
-You can't be serious now.- he said as he covered his face with his hands -This is not nothing, y/n. Look at you. You're injured.- he made her noticed, as his tone became serious. 
-Everything went fine in the end. Let's not make it tragic.- y/n replied -It could have been worse.- 
-Worse? Worse than being injured and needing stitches? What's worse than that, huh?! Death?- he asked, now speaking dead seriously, raising the tone a bit. 
-It's not like someone would care if I die right now.- y/n said, raising her tone as well -I don't have someone who's waiting for me.- 
-I'd care.- Hobie said -I already lost you once.- he spoke without thinking, and he immediately regretted it, as his hand flew to his mouth -Fuck...-
-What?- she asked, in confusion, suddenly in a lower tone. 
In that moment you could feel the pressure could have been cut with a knife.
-Nothing, nothing.- Hobie tried to change the subject without success.
-Hobie.- y/n called him, looking at him in the eyes -What do you mean by that?- 
He quickly thought about it, then decided to tell her, it wasn't like he had another choice.
-I guess I'm telling you know, then.- Hobie said, sitting next to her -I didn't want you to find out like this and I mean it.- y/n looked at him, between confused and a bit mad -So...ehm...I knew you before. I knew another y/n. The y/n of this universe. We were...uhm...friends...and she was my canon event...I couldn't save her. The first moment you took your mask off and I saw your face it was like a ghost had come back to haunt me. At first I didn't want anything to do with you, and I'm sorry for it. But then after what happened to you, it felt like a sign so I could do better at protecting you this time.- he explained, looking away and not meeting her gaze -I'm sorry about lying and not telling you sooner but...I just couldn't.- only when he finished talking, he raised his gaze and looked at her -I care about you, darling. I really do.- he caressed her cheek with his thumb. 
y/n now was looking at her hands, not sure on what to say. 
So he didn't like her. 
He liked the idea of the other her. 
Something inside her broke at that moment.