Chapter 6

A couple moments after they decided how they would settle down for the night, Hobie excused himself as he went to his room to pick the hammock which was in his closet and changed his clothes, since he was there. 
As he entered his room, he closed the door behind him and leaned his back against it. 
He took a deep breath before deciding to change his clothes. 
All this situation was surreal and incredible for him. 
Hobie didn't know how much longer he would last. 
When he came back in the other room he saw that Gwen and y/n had opened the sofa bed and were sitting there and talking. 
From the bits of conversation he overheard, he knew Gwen was explaining to her what canon events were and how they worked.
-One of the canon events that connects us all is the death of someone who is really close to us.- she explained, taking a deep breath -For most Spider-Persons it's their parents or uncle Ben. For Miles it's been his uncle Aaron. While for me...for me it's been my best friend, Peter.- she said, looking away -I wasn't good at protecting him and now...sorry, I'm rambling.- Gwen gave her a sad smile, trying to reassure her. 
Her eyes were full of regret, sadness and nostalgia. 
Hobie held his breath, as they were talking, while he attacked the hammock to a corner of the room with some webs. 
y/n got goosebumps as her friend talked about the same experience she went through. 
-I'm sorry, Gwen. I...I don't know what to say.- y/n mumbled.
She immediately felt a knot forming in her throat and her eyes got a bit shinier for the tears she refused to let out, the only thought of y/b/f's death had this effect on her. 
-In your...in your universe file is also written your canon event along with other important informations.- the blonde informed her -If you ever want to talk about it I'm here. I know what you have been through. We all do. Understood?- Gwen said, placing a hand on her shoulder. 
At that moment y/n broke into tears, for the first time since the funeral. 
-It's all my fault...it's all my fault.- y/n sobbed as Gwen hugged her tightly -I shouldn't have let her take the pictures...but she kept asking...and she needed that work...I couldn't say no...I regret everything...I should have protected her...she trusted me and I failed her...- 
-You didn't fail her, y/n. It had to happen. You couldn't have done anything to save her.- Gwen consoled her -I know that feeling of impotence, I do.- y/n sobbed on Gwen's shoulder -I felt the same way when I lost Peter, but I started to accept it when I understood that all this pain just makes you stronger. All this pain is good, because it shows all the love you never expressed to her. Pain is love that perseveres.- 
y/n sniffled as she and Gwen broke the hug, then Hobie passed her a tissue. 
He didn't really know what to do or say in that kind of situation, so the only thing he thought might have helped her was giving her a tissue. 
-I never thought it like this...- she replied, taking the tissue -Thanks...- she thanked him, as she wiped the tears that had flown down her cheeks. 
-You're welcome.- he nodded, with a small smile -Anyway I think it's time to sleep for all of us. It's been a day, hasn't it?-  
-It most definitely was.- Gwen replied trying to lighten the mood up a bit -But it had been a good day. Meeting new spider-friends it's always good.- 
-I can't say. You're the first spider-people I met.- y/n replied, trying to hold back a smile. 
-Well then. I'm gonna lie down in the hammock. Goodnight, spider-gals.- Hobie saluted them both. 
-Night, Hobie.- the blonde replied, saluting him back. 
-Night.- y/n responded, as she left that room and went to the bedroom.
She sat on the bed and contemplated those four walls she was in. 
Once y/n had lied down, she began to relive all the memories of the day. 
If she hadn't lived that day she wouldn't have believed her own eyes.
That night she fell asleep without many problems. 
The next morning when Hobie woke up it was because of some whispers. 
He rubbed his eyes and then blinked a few times to get used to the light. 
When he finally opened his eyes and saw y/n sitting on the sofa, which had been closed. 
Next thing he knew was that he was on the ground on his back. 
The two girls rushed to see if he was okay, a bit worried. 
-I'm fine, I'm fine.- he mumbled rubbing his own head -Ow...- he stood up as he looked around. 
-You sure you're fine?- Gwen asked as Hobie sat down on one of the chairs.
-Mhmh, positive.- he limited himself to answer. 
-You're hungry? I woke up a bit earlier so I went to pick some breakfast for all of us.- y/n said, pointing with her gaze to the small box on the table -I picked up some donuts. It seemed the safest option, since I don't know what you like.- she blabbered out. 
-Donuts are just perfect. Thanks y/n.- Hobie smiled at her, as she and Gwen sat down too and started having breakfast all together. 
After breakfast they quickly got their normal clothes on. 
-I'm going back to my universe for an hour, maybe less. I need to pick some things and clothes. I can't keep living here using Hobie's friend's clothes.- she warned them, standing up and adjusting the watch, that Gwen had helped her and explained how to use it. 
-I'll come with you.- the blonde immediately said -Just in case your parents ask questions.- she continued -You should also check your phone. Lyla should have made it multiversal, so you can keep in touch with everyone even if in different universes.- 
-That's amazing, damn.- y/n smiled at her -Now I should really go tho.- 
-Hobie, wanna come with us?- Gwen asked, opening a portal. 
-No, thank you. Maybe I'll reach you later. This city needs me.- he replied shrugging. 
-Well, we'll see you later anyway.- the blonde said, moving her gaze on the other girl -Ready?- 
-Yup, think so.- she nodded -Later Hobie.- 
-Later Gwen. Later y/n.- the man saluted them before seeing them disappear in a portal. 
After they disappeared he sighed loudly and he flopped down on the sofa, covering his face with his hands. 
-How much longer can I last?- he whispered to himself, then he changed and went out trying to keep busy.